The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Soap business update

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
The CBL Soap lab has moved! My wife insisted that I move all "soap operations" to a bigger location ...heck, she even MOVED everything to the new spot. The new spot is much larger and will allow us to keep all of our supplies, finished products and manufacturing equipment in one location. I am still trying to figure out how to most efficiently use all the new space but even as it is now I think I will be able to work on a few new projects I have been putting off. Unfortunately, it has been so HOT and HUMID in these parts I haven't devoted much time or energy to the soap lab.

In other news.... Inflation!
Prices of raw ingredients and packaging have increased 30-50% over 2020 prices (which were already higher than 2019 prices) and in some cases prices have almost doubled. The main challenge in 2020 was actually GETTING the supplies and materials needed, now the main issue is the COST of what we can get. Fortunately, I anticipated this sort of thing coming and stock piled a lot of what was needed (which is partly to blame for my wife insisting I move everything to one larger location). This has allowed me to control costs and maintain the same cost structure I have had since CBL Soap first began selling our products. As my stockpile dwindles I have been forced to pay more and more for the stuff I need. While I have been able to take steps to help keep hard costs low (like sourcing local fat and rendering my own tallow & partnering with others to conduct bulk buys) overall costs are still way up. The biggest inflationary hit has been in the materials needed to make CBL Tonic, the ingredients and packaging used to make CBL Tonic have ALL gone up at least 50%. Add in having to absorb the increased shipping costs (tonic's include free shipping) and the current price is simply unsustainable. (hint: this means the after shave tonic price will probably need to be increased OR I will no longer be offering free shipping with all orders containing tonic)

Shipping costs are also rising, although I don't think this qualifies as a strictly inflationary thing because the USPS has been wanting/needing to raise rates for some time now . USPS shipping costs increased July 1, so it's too early to tell exactly how the increase is going to impact the CBL Soap bottom line or if there will need to be an adjustment to my current flat rate shipping policy (or amount). The scary part is that the postmaster has made clear they intend to continue to increasing prices and the increases (in HIS own words) will be "painful".

Of course rising input and shipping costs are something that ALL artisans are facing, CBL Soap is not alone in feeling the pinch as prices continue to rise. I don't bring it up as a "poor me" thing, it's more of a "poor all of us" kind of challenge. I know, even after making some adjustments to our budget, our own family is paying $750 to $1000 more per month as a result of increased costs across the board, I assume others are feeling a similar pain and a THANK all of you who have continued to purchase CBL Soap products.

Despite rising input costs, CBL Soap has done fairly well, we have been able to reinvest in the business and be a significant sponsor of the 2022 TSC convention in Vegas...what more could I ask for? I don't see us going the commercial/retail sales route any time soon BUT we are working to get our products on the shelves in a few small barbershops and possibly doing some local farmers markets (for whatever that might be worth). I guess the real measure of success is that our family is still having a little fun doing it all, as long as things remain fun CBL Soap will continue on.

A few more things...
I think I have found a much better label/printer solution that will allow me to print my own labels as needed AND have labels that don't run or bleed. This should allow me to keep costs down while improving on what had been an unacceptable situation.
I plan to bring some new, non-soap, products to the website in the months ahead. Some of these things might interest TSC members who regularly shop my website...we shall see.
I still have some new scent ideas in the works, maybe even some "Seasonal" stuff. There won't be a lot of new stuff the rest of this year but there will be SOME.
I am probably going to need to adjust pricing on some products at some point, rest assured when/if I do, it will be as fair for everyone as possible.

Chris/CBLSoap.com

Hi Chris…Cadre newbie here and was just over on your website..one thing I was unable to determine was do you ship to Canada? Cheers Mike.

Hi Chris…Cadre newbie here and was just over on your website..one thing I was unable to determine was do you ship to Canada? Cheers Mike.
I do ship to Canada, the website will automatically calculate shipping costs at checkout. If you knows you want (or are thinking about) you can PM me and I can weigh everything out and give you an idea what the shipping costs would be.

I can confirm Chris's shipping to Canada.
Make him do all the math from 1-17 soaps so you can decide on the best shipping deal. 😜

I can confirm Chris's shipping to Canada.
Make him do all the math from 1-17 soaps so you can decide on the best shipping deal. 😜
Thanks Sam… He has some interesting soaps there on his site. Cheers Mike. ( wish it would stop raining here, three days straight..took the dogs for a walk anyway…they we’re not pleased 😄)

I do ship to Canada, the website will automatically calculate shipping costs at checkout. If you knows you want (or are thinking about) you can PM me and I can weigh everything out and give you an idea what the shipping costs would be.
Thanks Chris.. about the only shaving soap you can buy here locally is Proraso! Lol. I have some Stirling soaps but the currently do not ship North of the border, at least that's what there website says. Cheers from Nova Scotia. Mike.

Ordered Three for starters…thanks Chris. Really like the idea of the Bamboo soap bowl…water doesn’t affect it as much. I dabbled in soap making a few years back. It was fun and a learning experience. My wife thought I'd lost it 😆! Cheers🍻 MikeR.

Don’t forget calculating with and without the plastic containers.
@MikeR. Chis is referring to accommodating my request to send soaps in ziplock bags rather than plastic containers. Cuts down on both weight and package size, assuming you have your own containers at home and are willing to spend a few minutes to scrap out the baggies with a butter knife. Worked VERY well for me.

@MikeR. Chis is referring to accommodating my request to send soaps in ziplock bags rather than plastic containers. Cuts down on both weight and package size, assuming you have your own containers at home and are willing to spend a few minutes to scrap out the baggies with a butter knife. Worked VERY well for me.
Thanks..I decided to get 2 in their original container and 1 puck as a test run, pretty sure I'll like his stuff from all I’ve seen and reviews. Wanted a Bamboo container anyway. Chris has been great to deal with…the future looks bright! Mike.

Back