The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLsoap.com CHARACTER COUNTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBLSoap.com

a.k.a. CBLindsay
Artisan Retailer
Legacy
Concierge
I would like to apologize to the members of the Cadre for the lack of movement on the launch of Orion soap and lack of marketing/promo and fan-fair heralding CBL’s highly anticipated post shave products. I had intended to launch a more public and coordinated social media campaign, really building up the these new products and hinting at the new things to come…well, to the extent that I HAVE a social media following to campaign to, but I had to put parts of my launch on hold to deal with a situation I had hoped to pre-emptively avoid.

Normally I wouldn’t feel the need to explain or make excuses for why I have come up short of a goal most of you never knew I had. You know how the saying goes. “Don’t make excuses, those that matter don’t care and those that care don’t matter.” But in this case it isn’t about explaining MY shortcomings, it’s about exposing someone else’s poor character.

This is MY storefront, CBL Premium Tallow Soaps, CBL Tonsorial, CBL Master Barber, ORION, CBL After Shave Tonic, CBL Apothecary OIL. I will post a copy of the email string(s) from the person who decided he and his brand is more important than mine but not confident enough to let my products see the light of day before trying to burn me or them to the ground. Like most in the wet shaving community, I enjoy a great product…like most in the wet shaving community I will go the extra 10 miles to never support an artisan whose character flaws are beyond my ability to ignore. This “artisan” has demonstrated through his actions and words that he is willing to use fear, intimidation, strong-arm tactics and lies to “win” at all costs. It’s the Passive Aggressive ones like this guy who are the most dangerous, You can never tell if they are patting you on the back or stabbing you in it...but because they are always smiling while they to the on looker it look innocent either way ..I’ll pass,

Had this person not insisted on creating conflict where none had existed before and becoming an aggressor so persistent as to require professional intervention, I would not need to take this added step of making this post in MY artisan/Vendor Storefront to preserve the public’s perception of MY integrity, MY brand and MY skill as an artisan. I would not need to acknowledge this other person ever existed had they not sought me out to attack ME (I suppose this is the irony of it all).

Attached you will find emails sent to ME by this person earlier this week. At the time this email was sent Orion was not released and no information was disclosed about it other than an initial pre-launch video posted to @barberdave’s personal/barbershop youtube channel about 4 days prior. Dave purchased and reviewed the soap, officially disclosing CBL as the brand and ORION as the name of the base.

There is also an email string from September, sent to @BarberDave in which this person rages about Dave’s review and comparison of what was at the time an unknown mystery artisans soap (MY soap pending packaging and final touches) then finishes by making a direct threat of harm. Because of this email attack and other related cyber threats I engaged the appropriate professionals who advised I pre-emptively put in place a series of barriers and take other measures to ensure my/my families safety.

*the emails are unedited and contain vulgarity *
A87FB5D6-7F9F-4C71-94A2-C9934E50D915.jpegC17B7C39-7E3C-49D8-9488-AE9BEDDB2688.jpeg

September emails
CDDDED75-A5C9-44BF-9A53-337A30B1C164.jpegA93D0613-8F4C-489E-82B1-7CC3367BD50D.jpeg8B448B01-2938-4354-A936-DD7CD8FEB06D.jpeg

I just can’t imagine.. Good on you Chris, I wish you all the best! Excited to try the new base!!!

Unreal I regret ever buying a product from Sebum and would never do business with him again.

Good luck with Orion and all future endeavors Chris.

I had to look up who Sebum was. Based on what he charges for a jar of soap, I'd never buy his stuff anyway. And I know nothing about what's going on, but copycat products are a fact of life (unless there is patent or trademark infringement). I'm just thinking of Belcam colognes that sell for like $5 at WalMart (and are actually pretty good replicas)--they say right on the package "Our version of Polo Blue" (or whatever)--and they don't get sued out of business. Every company reverse engineers their competitor's products.

Unreal I regret ever buying a product from Sebum and would never do business with him again.

Good luck with Orion and all future endeavors Chris.
I assure you my intent is not to diminish your enjoyment of any product in your den. You may not be pleased with the person but if the product still brings you enjoyment then enjoy it without regrets and move on.
I had to look up who Sebum was. Based on what he charges for a jar of soap, I'd never buy his stuff anyway. And I know nothing about what's going on, but copycat products are a fact of life (unless there is patent or trademark infringement). I'm just thinking of Belcam colognes that sell for like $5 at WalMart (and are actually pretty good replicas)--they say right on the package "Our version of Polo Blue" (or whatever)--and they don't get sued out of business. Every company reverse engineers their competitor's products.
I agree, fragrances are a good everyday example of “copy” in industry. In the end my products will Always stand on their own as being unique in their design and production.

Not the first time I have heard of this ... At least one other company had a run in with him. I don't know all of the details, but the theme (or attitude) is eerily similar.

I've always through of CBL as very unique, even when other companies are producing the same 'ol products. Not that I don't love those same ole products. Still, the fact that you'd be targeted seems ludicrous. Then again, he claims he didn't know the company, only that it was perceived favorably compared to his. Obviously he thinks very very highly of his soap. That's not the worst thing at all, unless he takes it too far. Too bad he did...again?

One thing that I don’t think should be minimized is how customers are treated (or bullied) after the fact. In this particular case he became excessively aggressive and threatening FIRST with one of his own customers who paid full retail (I am told Dave paid $300 for his set) for his products...and fully enjoyed what he had purchased and even made videos saying as much. Some time later Dave makes a video raving about someone else’s product (mine in this case) and the guy goes ballistic on his own customer before turning his attention on the other artisan.

It’s one thing to become aggressive with your competition but it’s another to attack customers, your own and those of your competitors.

That wasn't what I was expecting to see when I clicked on the thread, and wish I hadn't seen it.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem appropriate to be airing dirty laundry like this, only makes both sides look bad from my POV.

I've had plenty of runs in with peers in the past in my line of work, and it would only make me look bad to voice them publicly.

TSC Ownership has removed the post made here by @Nervosa1901 and banned the member. Normally these actions would be done without @the TSC ownership making a statement however, in the interest of increased transparency we have chosen to provide more details about the removed post and why we banned @@nervosa1901.

The deleted post was the new members’ s first post to The Shaving Cadre, in it he acknowledged CBL was a ‘sponsor of TSC’ and that he had joined the forum so that he could make the post that followed.

What followed was a mix of personal attack on vendor @CBLSoap.com (an owner of the forum) and “dave” who had made a YouTube video in support of the vendor. (Dave in this case is TSC co-owner @BarberDave). The personal attack included calling both ‘idiots’ and ‘pathetic’. His post was not all critical though, he did express support for Rick and his Sebum brand while disparaging the CBLsoap.com brand based solely on having perused the CBLSoap.com website.

The post in and of itself was a violation of our forum TOU, the fact that the member joined for the purposes of making that post was an insult to the forum members who join with the intent to be part of the Cadre. Making THIS members’s post more concerning to us as owners was that in September we had a very similar situation arise when Rick Sprowl registered on the forum as “SebumGold” for the expressed and only purpose of making a very similar post attacking both Dave & CBL (although at the time he did not know CBL was the vendor). Rick’s post and subsequent PM’s were more aggressive in tone but strikingly similar in content. As a result of that post and PM exchange ‘SebumGold’ was banned and the single post deleted.

When @Nervosa1901 made a similar post we began a review of his historical forum behaviors and reached out to him direct for more information.

We indicated our concerns directly to @Nervosa1901 and asked for clarification of his intentions. In his only direct communication to us he indicated he wanted to continue posting on the forum and provided us with ‘references’, indicating he had been admin at The Shave Nook and was involved at Against The Grain...we looked into those past affiliations & beyond to his activity at other forums.

What we saw were post primarily amounting BST listings and arguments with or attacks on well established artisans like RazoRock and Barrister & Mann. We determined that what we saw was someone who WE do not want to welcome to our forum or expose our vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back