The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hemp Oil soap ...should I or shouldn't I?

I think there are advantages to using heat or chemical methods that expeller or cold pressed may not offer. It really comes down to what you are hoping to achieve. There are components that are left behind or inefficiently released by pressing and there are others that are damaged with heat and/or chemical. In general I think oils intended to provide mostly fragrance the method is less important, whatever gives the desired fragrance profile is good with me. I think the method matters more when you intend to consume the oil, it makes sense that obtaining oil via heat or chemical may degrade beneficial compounds or result in unintended inclusion of undesirable compounds. For skin care purposes I think the issue is more that the oil might contain undesirable stuff if obtained via “extreme” methods.

Consider this...when oils are expressed from cannabis you get one thing, treat that oil with a solvent such as butane and you get a different, more powerful product that has less “undesirable” compounds per unit. Whether the expeller pressed oil is better or worse than the solvent extracted concentrate is a matter of perspective.

Consider this...green coffee beans can be pressed, steeped or steamed to get oil and other “desirable” compounds. You try to brew a tea with those green beans and you get a very floral and un-coffee like drink. ROAST those beans In a very prescribed way and new flavor compounds are formed, sugars caramelized and oils released turning those beans into a magic elixir fit for the gods. Different methods and treatments produce different outcomes.

I don’t think it’s advisable to paint with too broad a brush when it comes to extracting oils and compounds. I think the best thing to do is keep the “why” in mind and proceed accordingly. WHY am I using this oil? WHY is one method better or worse than another in MY situation. WHY is a certain method used or recommend by the manufacturer?

Excellent answer Chris! I was just more curious than anything else. But this is a very logical thought out answer. I appreciate the input.

Would hemp oil pose an issue when shipping international? Just food for thought.
That is a great question. I am inclined to think hemp oil itself poses no issues since most locations have no objections to hemp oil even when they restrict growing or processing. Further reducing the chances that international customs might object are the codes used to identify the products being shipped. The code I use is for “soap”, the finished product without regard to which oils were used to make the soap.
I don’t add or use CBD but I wonder how customs would look at that. Since CBD is considered medicinal I’m sure there are legitimate restrictions on its import/export. I know one of the suppliers I use also sells CBD, when they first started offering it they reported several credit card companies rejecting the purchase because they had not understood the laws in force at the time.

NC has recently begun allowing the growth of hemp plants for agricultural purposes. Heavily heavily regulated and controlled. Hemp oil (CBD) oil is legal for purchase here and isn’t regulated as far as I know. It has several holistic uses ranging from anxiety to arthritis pain. It has been stated that Full Spectrum hemp oil can contain trace amounts of THC and cause a positive hit on a drug test if said oil is ingested orally. There are other options that are not full spectrum that can not cause the positive drug test because they do not contain any THC but still are hemp oil products. I am not sure what the answer is but I take 1.0 ml per day and have used the Ghost Dragons Blood CBL stuff and haven’t popped positive on a pee test yet. If it happens then I am blaming the ingested 1.0ml rather than the minimum amount that may be present in the lather that soapy excellence contains.

NC has recently begun allowing the growth of hemp plants for agricultural purposes. Heavily heavily regulated and controlled. Hemp oil (CBD) oil is legal for purchase here and isn’t regulated as far as I know. It has several holistic uses ranging from anxiety to arthritis pain. It has been stated that Full Spectrum hemp oil can contain trace amounts of THC and cause a positive hit on a drug test if said oil is ingested orally. There are other options that are not full spectrum that can not cause the positive drug test because they do not contain any THC but still are hemp oil products. I am not sure what the answer is but I take 1.0 ml per day and have used the Ghost Dragons Blood CBL stuff and haven’t popped positive on a pee test yet. If it happens then I am blaming the ingested 1.0ml rather than the minimum amount that may be present in the lather that soapy excellence contains.
I think the key to being able to consume hemp oil (with or without CBD) is sticking with “reliable” sources. Whether it’s lazy labeling or poor quality control, a less reputable provider might inadvertently expose the consumer to more THC than expected. As the industry matures there will no doubt be less to be concerned about.

Don’t forget, money is king. So long as THC has a market and value providers will be motivated to isolate it from wherever it is so it can be sold for profit. Hemp oil used in skin care is worth much less than the CBD and THC isolates, so there is motivation beyond legal requirements to separate them and sell each for the appropriate price.
Look at the whole hemp/CBD/THC oil thing like the oil industry. Crude oil can be fractionated into dozens of things, each capable of being worth more than the crude itself. Improved fractionating and refining techniques mean a barrel of oil can be turned into FAR more $$ than the cost of the barrel...but only when the petroleum jelly is separated from the petrol.

Your detailed explanation sheds light on the concerns and misconceptions surrounding hemp oil in various products. It's indeed a topic that has sparked debate and confusion, especially when it comes to drug testing.Your thought process on the THC content in shaving soap formulas makes sense, with the potential THC levels being quite minimal. It's true that further studies are needed to provide more concrete evidence regarding drug test outcomes related to hemp oil products.Ultimately, your post highlights the importance of informed decision-making and individual choices when it comes to using such products. It's a topic that continues to evolve, and as more research emerges, we can hope for clearer guidelines and understanding in the future. But you can check out for more details in research online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back