The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

went for an hours walk today while gma had lunch with a friend. did some more hot yoga in the evening time, which was another hour. dont feel so beat today. actually feeling pretty good right know. may or may not take tomrrow off.

See, it's just a lifestyle for me. I started doing physical stuff in my mid 20's after struggling with depression and weird blood sugar issues. My girlfriend at the time had a best friend who dated a pro skater, and we started hanging out, and I got into skating, then snowboarding when I moved here for work.
It really normal just to go skate or ride everyday after work, didn't really think about it. But I did notice I was having way less of the afore mentioned problems.

I was stretching quite a bit at that time, because it helped with the soreness, that led to eventually getting into yoga. A difficult divorce got me to shift priorities, and I got seriously into yoga, and found I was naturally good at it. Unlike boardsports, they were just fun.

I lost my job here, and realized it would be impossible to find another as a foreigner, so moved into full time yoga. The yoga I did was seriously hard core, 2 hours a day minimum and then teaching 6 days a week. 3-4 hour sessions weren't unusual though. So I guess you can say I built up to it.

Training at the gym is so much more self moderated, that I don't have a problem.

The other thing is I deload every 5th week, just light training, according to my mood. So that's the main thing I do for recovery.
But my life circumstances are such that I can make time for it, if I had a normal job, something would be scaled back for sure.
Finally I just know what I can do, and moderate how heavy I lift, rep ranges, volume etc so it works. I have friends who are WAY stronger and they have totally different set ups that work for them.

But that's me, and it's definitely not for most people to do!

Oddly though, most of my clients come to me with a 5-6 day a week training history. A lot of times I actually work to wean them back, because I can see it's not working for them. Progress isn't happening, frequent niggles, and frequent weeks where everything just falls apart randomly.

So, the real key is to find an amount of training that you can consistently hit each week. There's limitless ways of doing it. If you find everything is falling apart regularly then, it's time for a rethink. I'm not a big believer in 'will power' you need to find what you can consistently and organically do at first. Build from there step by step.
Thank you so much for sharing! I always find it so interesting to understand the perspective of someone who goes on a health journey. You know...what got them there. And you are no exception

I am very much like you in the sense that 'powering through" something, or "will power" isn't always the best solution. Exercise doesn't come easy for me. I am not one of these guys that goes running and am like "oh, yeah baby!" Barbell strength training and rucking are the two things that I probably enjoy the most when it comes to exercise. But I am rarely overly excited about doing either. So I do my best to make my schedule as easy as I can so I can stick to a routine. Which is where I am struggling now. I don't have a lot of time to schedule things into my daily life right now. The new job has me driving an hour and a half one way for work on most days. The good part is that I get 3 hours a week on the clock to work out and the worksite has a really nice gym. Anyway...I think I have stated this before so I will quit babbling.

But thank you Cole for sharing. I think a lot of insight can be gleamed from your experience.

did a hot pilattes class yesterday at 11:00 am legs were pretty sore. did some what they call yin yoga at the local studio, lots of stretching. then they had a sound bath i wanted to try out from 7 to 930. so i did a lot of yoga last night. may work out today, legs are slightly sore but not too bad.
Lots of yoga going on! If I had the time I would definitely get in a yoga class. I definitely need some help with back, neck, shoulder, hip mobility. Or I guess I could have said whole body mobility! :)

Back