The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Volunteers needed

Okay an update on my 1st shave with sample 3 yesterday. I was mistaken about which blade I grabbed and put into the bevel, it was a feather blade I used. Sorry for the wrong information. Will probably be using sample 3 again either later today or tomorrow as we are out Christmas shopping with the kids right now.

Shave #352 (387 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Gillette Slim, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, CBL Blind Test #1 soap, generic witch hazel, Thayer’s Medicated, Lucky Tiger, and Humorous TDH clone to finish!

Today was the 2nd and final use of the CBL #1 test soap! Yesterday’s findings mostly confirmed, though today’s shave was slightly better than yesterday’s.

- Basic lather character: #1 had probably the same amount of protection/cushion as #2, but with better slickness, structure not as silky as #2 but more substantial than #3, washed off a easier than #3, not as slick or residuals slick as #3
- Basic shave qualities: decent in-shave slickness, residual slickness was OK enough for limited light touch up (slightly improved with a little wetting)
- Post shave feel: face feels very similar to how it did for #3, maybe slightly less, a little more dry/worn from shave (both blades have a lot of shaves on them), skin still feels supple though and finishes normalizing quickly enough for me
- Other observations: interesting to note with soap #2 & #3 - I will say that #3 is noticeably superior because of its slickness and residual slickness

For anyone counting or who hasn’t, this sets #3 at the definite top, #1 in reasonably close second, and #2 definitely, solidly last for shave/face feel preference.

okay here goes. Shave # 2 With Sample # 3.....
  1. Prep: warm towel after thoroughly washing my face
  2. Brush: VDH boar ( using it to test all 3 samples )
  3. Razor: Bevel head on gillette new handle
  4. Blade: Feather (2nd use)
  5. Lather: Mystery sample 3
  6. Basic lather character : i used more water this time and the lather was to thin this time and was able to build it back up a little by whipping it for another minute....
  7. Post Shave: W.H
  8. Basic post shave qualities: face feels dry almost like plain shower/ body soap
  9. Post shave feel : face still feels like it has stubble on it where blade "stuck" and jumped on face... think i could have gotten a better shave if i had used shampoo or anything other than my sample number 3.....
  10. Fragrance: none just a plain alcohol splash ( i am using plain alcohol for all 3 samples so that nothing interferes with the soaps )
  11. Other observations : this was my 2nd shave with this sample and gratefully the last for the test of sample 3.. I think i could have gotten a better shave if i had used shampoo or anything other than my sample number 3..... thanks for allowing us to be your testers Chris

If it's ok that I live in Europe, I will be happy to test also.

1) @Jaro1069 (he already said he would)
2) @Bogeyman ?(this would be a good one for you are you interested?)
3) Spider
4) GearNoir
5) MilkCrate
6) HMan (if able)
Maybe more
7) ShawnF
8) Shavin’ Yeti
9) majorrich (oh heck yeah!)
10) @shadowman12

If it's ok that I live in Europe, I will be happy to test also.

1) @Jaro1069 (he already said he would)
2) @Bogeyman ?(this would be a good one for you are you interested?)
3) Spider
4) GearNoir
5) MilkCrate
6) HMan (if able)
Maybe more
7) ShawnF
8) Shavin’ Yeti
9) majorrich (oh heck yeah!)
10) @shadowman12
I don't have a problem sending CBL soaps to cadre gents over seas but I think I have a BETTER sample to send to you. Go ahead and PM me an address and when I am ready to send the Beta sample I am working on I will send it your way (maybe a new years thing!)

I don't have a problem sending CBL soaps to cadre gents over seas but I think I have a BETTER sample to send to you. Go ahead and PM me an address and when I am ready to send the Beta sample I am working on I will send it your way (maybe a new years thing!)
Thanks, much appreciated. Just send you a PM with address

ok im back with.....
Shave # 1 With Sample # 2.....
  3. Razor: Bevel head on gillette new handle ( using it to test all 3 samples )
  4. Blade: Feather (1st use since i am switching to new blade after 2nd pass for each sample)
  5. Lather: Mystery sample 2
  6. Basic lather character : ok it lathered better than sample 3 but still has a weird feeling on face
  8. Basic post shave qualities: face felt less coated with waxy gunk than sample 3 but it is still there with this one also
  9. Post shave feel : face still feels like it has a little stubble on it where blade "stuck" and jumped on face...
  10. Fragrance: none just a plain alcohol splash ( i am using plain alcohol for all 3 samples so that nothing interferes with the soaps )
  11. Other observations : this was my 1st shave with this sample . I had about a dozen weepers with this sample..I still had to wash off my face with a baby wipe after the shave to remove the waxy feeling i had and now about 5 minutes later my face is feeling like it has a thin layer of cement on it...Anyway.. thanks for allowing us to be your testers Chris
edit..... i have gotten a redness on my neck post shave with sample # 2....

I would like to thank those who have been diligently testing the samples and reporting back their findings in this thread, their journals and in PM’s to me. Most of you have had a chance to get through all or or most of the samples by now. I will be doing a write-up soon discussing the results and letting everyone know more about each sample. I definitely had ulterior motives in conducting this exercise but as I said many times, I was NOT developing a new formula or using the volunteer group as a beta test group for any potential formula changes. ONE of you was quick to notice a key detail and another of you expressed an observation about the samples that was perfectly consistent with an observation he had expressed about another soap made by another artisan that utilized the same ingredient in a similar manner which confirmed for both of us his personal sensitivity to that ingredient when used in that way. More details to follow soon....

I would like to thank those who have been diligently testing the samples and reporting back their findings in this thread, their journals and in PM’s to me. Most of you have had a chance to get through all or or most of the samples by now. I will be doing a write-up soon discussing the results and letting everyone know more about each sample. I definitely had ulterior motives in conducting this exercise but as I said many times, I was NOT developing a new formula or using the volunteer group as a beta test group for any potential formula changes. ONE of you was quick to notice a key detail and another of you expressed an observation about the samples that was perfectly consistent with an observation he had expressed about another soap made by another artisan that utilized the same ingredient in a similar manner which confirmed for both of us his personal sensitivity to that ingredient when used in that way. More details to follow soon....
giphy.gif

Havent had a chance to put it in my journal yet, but I tried sample 3. This one for me hit all the marks. Lathered easy, slick protective lather, and post shave was really god for me. No stickiness, no coated feeling, and no drying. Just smooth hydrated feeling skin.
Sorry u havent been extremely detailed Chris, but I hope I helped some.

okay here we go again

Shave # 2 With Sample # 2.....
  4. Blade: Feather (2nd use since i am switching to new blade after 2nd pass for each sample)
  5. Lather: Mystery sample 2
  6. Basic lather character : ok I changed the water to soap ratio and again it lathered better than sample 3 but still has a weird feeling on face
  8. Basic post shave qualities: face still felt less coated with waxy gunk than sample 3 but it is still there with this one also even changing water ratio
  9. Post shave feel : face still feels like it has a little stubble on it where blade "stuck" and jumped on face...
  11. Other observations : this was my 2nd shave with this sample . I had about 4 or 5 weepers with this sample this time..I still had to wash off my face with a baby wipe after the shave to remove the waxy feeling i had and now about 5 minutes later my face is feeling like it has a thin layer of cement on it..and again my neck has turned red ...Also i have noticed my VDH brush has started to lose some hairs all of a sudden so it doesn't seem kind to the VDH brushes..so i guess you could say i'm shedding blood and brush hairs for this trial....Anyway.. thanks for allowing us to be your "testers" Chris

Shave # 1 With Sample # 1.....
  4. Blade: Feather (1st use since i am switching to new blade after 2nd pass for each sample)
  5. Lather: Mystery sample 1
  6. Basic lather character : ok it lathered wonderfully. better than either of the other 2...
  8. Basic post shave qualities: face didnt feel waxy at all with this sample.
  9. Post shave feel : face is smooth. i made a mistake with this sample and went back for another pass which i shouldnt have done because it resulted in about a dozen and a half weepers... if i had stuck with just the one pass i only had a single weeper but i didnt so............
  11. Other observations : this was my 1st shave with this sample . it would have been excellent if I hadnt done the 2nd pass but i did so...weepers galore..i liked this sample it lathered very well and smelled fantastic..Anyway..Again.. thanks for allowing us to be your testers Chris

okay here goes the last sample shave

Shave # 2 With Sample # 1.....
  4. Blade: Feather (2nd use since i am switching to new blade after 2nd pass for each sample)
  5. Lather: Mystery sample 1
  6. Basic lather character : ok again it lathered wonderfully. I liked it best of the 3 samples......
  8. Basic post shave qualities: face didnt feel waxy at all with this sample. I liked this sample best..
  9. Post shave feel : face is smooth. I only did a single pass with the sample tonight no weepers this time.
  11. Other observations : this was my 2nd shave with this sample..i liked this sample it lathered very well and smelled fantastic and i had a smooth shave with this sample..Anyway..Again.. thanks for allowing us to be your testers Chris

Back