The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ask Tom About Haberdashery

Sskim3

Sharp Dressed Shaver
Legacy
So I am opening the door to handle your questions on anything haberdashery related. I may not have all your answers but can point you in the right direction. As a background, I have been an avid user on other clothing forums (not so much anymore) and have created a style that leverages a lot of the 1960's trad/ivy look with a more modern take. Let's see where this goes... ?

I'll kick this off. How about a tutorial on how to measure oneself.

Cvargo said:
I'll kick this off. How about a tutorial on how to measure oneself.
That's much too easy of a set-up for a clean punch line

HAHAHAHA Let's keep this one easy. If you have a partner or friend that would help you out, it makes it 100x easier.

Also, once you do it, it'll go a long way for shirts, jackets, pants.

http://propercloth.com/reference/dress-shirt-body-measurements/

Whenever you buy clothes online, you can refer to the size measurements chart since they break down most of the measurements you will be taking. Potentially will save you a bunch of returns for online orders.

I own a basic black sport coat and several pairs of slacks khaki, black, grey. several shirts and ties my wife picked out for matching the shirts. my real question is does a tailored suit actually have a purpose other than it all came together?

A nice bow tie source and a good video on how to tie properly, Most of them out there you need a slide rule and an engineering degree, LOL

DocHoliday0831 said:
I own a basic black sport coat and several pairs of slacks khaki, black, grey. several shirts and ties my wife picked out for matching the shirts. my real question is does a tailored suit actually have a purpose other than it all came together?

You don't need a tailored suit. Some folks like suits. As long as it's tailored, that is key. No one looks good with baggy and loose fitting clothes. One suggestion is get a navy sports coat. I feel it is more versatile than black. I tend to only wear black to funerals and weddings.

Do a quick search on black on Ask Andy or Styleforum. It's a headache LOL I tend to compare it to carts or canned goo in the shaving world.

Xenostr8shaver said:
A nice bow tie source and a good video on how to tie properly, Most of them out there you need a slide rule and an engineering degree, LOL

The biggest thing here is your budget. On sale my preference is Brooks Brothers and J Press but call me biased. Brooks tend to be made in USA while J Press is typically made in UK. Both brands have sales so look out for 50%. If you want to save a few more dollars, eBay is a great source. Fortunately for ties, the secondary market is very kind. Ties don't wear down as much and most folks have multiple ties so I never really worry about a used tie. Think about your wardrobe and how often you wear certain ties.

I found this video helpful.
https://youtu.be/2I3cfa0BOOc

What I would do is watch a few times and then do a few run throughs while watching and pausing. I think it took me a good 15 to 20 min to get my first knot done.

Xenostr8shaver said:

Poor Dave can't attach the clip in the back.

Cvargo said:
Poor Dave can't attach the clip in the back.

You Hillbilly, I don't own a bowtie with a clip, you are such a commoner, LOL

LOL - well if any of you want to give it a whirl, I am more than happy to give you a bow tie to try it yourself. It definitely makes you stand out in a crowd and as long as you stay confident, you are good. I will note one HUGE benefit of a bow tie..... Unlike a necktie, the bow tie doesn't really pull the weight down on your neck which can get uncomfortable over a long period of time. Once it is on, you just leave it and you barely notice it. A necktie can be a pain when it goes all over the place and then can get in the way when you are leaning forward or eating etc.

My last suit purchase was in the 1990's. The one I wear most frequently is a charcoal wool blend with very faint white pinstripe I bought the fall of 1990, prior to doing on campus interviews at the University of Utah. I think I paid about $300 or so for it at the time. Which means it has cost me about $15 a year. Needless to say, I can't button the jacket anymore, but the pants still fit and it still fits in the shoulders.

What is a good way to go with a replacement? The one I have is a two button. Any ideas. My budget would probably max out around the $350 range (+/-). I haven't really looked, although I probably should. The budget has been a bit tight recently.

I also have a nice double breasted but haven't been able to wear that in some time. It is newer than the gray one, and is a beautiful what I would call "summer" brown in a lightweight fabric. Great for warmer weather. I have attached a photo of me in that suit taken in 2011. Not sure I have one of me in the gray suit.

Runnin_Ute said:
My last suit purchase was in the 1990's. The one I wear most frequently is a charcoal wool blend with very faint white pinstripe I bought the fall of 1990, prior to doing on campus interviews at the University of Utah. I think I paid about $300 or so for it at the time. Which means it has cost me about $15 a year. Needless to say, I can't button the jacket anymore, but the pants still fit and it still fits in the shoulders.

What is a good way to go with a replacement? The one I have is a two button. Any ideas. My budget would probably max out around the $350 range (+/-). I haven't really looked, although I probably should. The budget has been a bit tight recently.

I also have a nice double breasted but haven't been able to wear that in some time. It is newer than the gray one, and is a beautiful what I would call "summer" brown in a lightweight fabric. Great for warmer weather. I have attached a photo of me in that suit taken in 2011. Not sure I have one of me in the gray suit.

I don't know how much this will help. But talking with Tom he recommended to me the Stafford suit. I actually have lost a lot of weight which is why I am needing a new suit. I have a big event next week and have to wear a suit. I normally don't wear them that often, but would like to start casually wearing one to work on occasion. Anyways I am expecting to still lose about another 30 pounds so I wanted a suit that would look great and not break the bank. Because I am probably not going to get a lot of wear out of it. This is the one I chose https://www.jcpenney.com/p/stafford-gray-windowpane-classic-fit-stretch-suit-jacket/ppr5007393908?pTmplType=regular

IT should arrive in a day or so. I am excited to see how it all fits.

$350 range depending on your size, I would recommend Suit Supply (modern slim cut) or Spier and Mackay (multiple fits with regular, tailored, slim). It is a step up from the Stafford line but again if you are tight the Stafford works great in a pinch or a daily workhorse. Don't forget to leave some room for tailoring and it brings everything together. And like I said before, don't skimp out on shoes. You can wear a $1000 suit with $40 shoes in the wrong shape/form and it just ruins it.

Well seeing as you are posting today perhaps this last question of mine can get answered before my event this weekend. In my last post I linked the suit I bought. What color of shoes do I wear with a suit like that? I am wearing a cream colored shirt and red tie.

Honestly, you can go with the standard black shoes. Personally, I am a sucker for brown. For that color suit, a medium brown would look pretty dashing. I think the brown would go better with the cream shirt and red tie IMHO.

We need pics after the event. ?
Well seeing as you are posting today perhaps this last question of mine can get answered before my event this weekend. In my last post I linked the suit I bought. What color of shoes do I wear with a suit like that? I am wearing a cream colored shirt and red tie.

Honestly, you can go with the standard black shoes. Personally, I am a sucker for brown. For that color suit, a medium brown would look pretty dashing. I think the brown would go better with the cream shirt and red tie IMHO.

We need pics after the event.
1f642.png

I am leaning towards brown also. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any fashion rules.

Back