The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

BBQ/Grill/Smoker/etc. Cooks

Okay...so I have been wanting a pellet smoker for a while. But even cheap ones are not all that cheap. In a perfect world I would love a Yoder or a Memphis Elite. But I'm not competing and just want a really good brisket from time to time. The other day my wife surprised me with an early Father's Day gift. Yup it was a pellet smoker. So I was expecting a Traeger or maybe a Pit Boss. Nope...it was something very unexpected. It was a Member's Mark 36" Pellet Smoker with a side induction burner. I am not one that has to have the fancy name brands, but sometimes name brands are better. Did some research and turns out these grills are kind of a hidden gem. It comes double walled insulated which usually doesn't come at this price point. Other pellet smokers at this price point are much smaller as well. The Member's Mark grill comes with the basic functions that all pellet smokers come with, as well as some food probes for internal temp monitoring and a grill cover. Reviews on the grill that I find on Reddit and other places are pretty darn good. But all the reviews and features don't mean squat unless you can grill some good food. So on Sunday, I seasoned up some chicken quarters, split breasts, and ears of corn. Threw it on the grill and a couple hours later I had some really good food. I didn't do anything special. And wasn't overly attentive. I know it is one grill. But I was pretty darn impressed. It is far cry from the days I spent hours and hours feeding pecan logs into an offset smoker to smoke pork butts and briskets. I plan on doing another short smoke today or Friday. I am thinking of a sirloin cap or something beefy. So we will see how it goes. But for a "budget" smoker I am thoroughly impressed. My only complaint is that I wish the internal temp probes would sync with an app so I could monitor my meat from inside. But these are small details. And if I want...I know I can purchase wireless meat probes separately. Hoping to have some pics later today or Friday.

Okay...so I have been wanting a pellet smoker for a while. But even cheap ones are not all that cheap. In a perfect world I would love a Yoder or a Memphis Elite. But I'm not competing and just want a really good brisket from time to time. The other day my wife surprised me with an early Father's Day gift. Yup it was a pellet smoker. So I was expecting a Traeger or maybe a Pit Boss. Nope...it was something very unexpected. It was a Member's Mark 36" Pellet Smoker with a side induction burner. I am not one that has to have the fancy name brands, but sometimes name brands are better. Did some research and turns out these grills are kind of a hidden gem. It comes double walled insulated which usually doesn't come at this price point. Other pellet smokers at this price point are much smaller as well. The Member's Mark grill comes with the basic functions that all pellet smokers come with, as well as some food probes for internal temp monitoring and a grill cover. Reviews on the grill that I find on Reddit and other places are pretty darn good. But all the reviews and features don't mean squat unless you can grill some good food. So on Sunday, I seasoned up some chicken quarters, split breasts, and ears of corn. Threw it on the grill and a couple hours later I had some really good food. I didn't do anything special. And wasn't overly attentive. I know it is one grill. But I was pretty darn impressed. It is far cry from the days I spent hours and hours feeding pecan logs into an offset smoker to smoke pork butts and briskets. I plan on doing another short smoke today or Friday. I am thinking of a sirloin cap or something beefy. So we will see how it goes. But for a "budget" smoker I am thoroughly impressed. My only complaint is that I wish the internal temp probes would sync with an app so I could monitor my meat from inside. But these are small details. And if I want...I know I can purchase wireless meat probes separately. Hoping to have some pics later today or Friday.

Masterbuilt gravity series.

Enjoy! Between my Napoleon Prestige gas grill and my Big Green Egg, ThermoWorks Signal and Billows, a pellet grill is not in my foreseeable future. Vicarious thrills from seeing yours are always welcome. Congratulations and good cooking on it!

Enjoy! Between my Napoleon Prestige gas grill and my Big Green Egg, ThermoWorks Signal and Billows, a pellet grill is not in my foreseeable future. Vicarious thrills from seeing yours are always welcome. Congratulations and good cooking on it!
Thanks! I have plenty of experience grilling...mostly on a Weber Kettle. But I am excited to push the limits (eventually) on the pellet smoker.

Back