The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

Great shave today Chris! It's amazing how much different a straight shave feels when you use an ulta-slick soap.

Your experience with GD mirrors what others have said about them...which is an absolute top notch soap! I haven't had a chance to try any GD soaps, but it's high up on the list pending the right scent becomes available. They're pretty limited in their releases, so it's touch and go. Am really interested in their duck fat formula...sounds luxurious!

I do feel very fortunate to get the samples I did! Some of these are the sold out ones.

I wonder what tallow type classic European soaps use? I’ve never used a product openly marketed with a specific tallow.

Catching up on your starting adventure Chris! Sounds like you are starting out strong with a tail wind! Welcome and stick around! There are some real characters around here.

Catching up on your starting adventure Chris! Sounds like you are starting out strong with a tail wind! Welcome and stick around! There are some real characters around here.
Great shave. I am going to put GD on my list of makers to try!
Great read! I’m also going to have a look at GD and the Venture.

Thanks!

I have about 4 more Grooming Dept. samples I’m going to try out and post on. If they’re any like this one, it’ll be a nice treat!

CC Venture is top notch stuff, so was fortunate enough to be a tester prior to release.

Also, the missus informed me Dave’s PIF box arrived a little while ago! Totally looking forward to the end of my shift!

Well Dave quite outdid himself! I’m blown away! There’s enough soaps and samples to try something new like the next 14 days! Half a month of different soaps! There is a lot of high quality stuff in here...

And of course tomorrow I’ll officially welcome Dave’s neglected razor child to the family...the RR Baby Smooth!

So I tried some of the frags/AS, because I had to get into something tonight!

Each of the 4 I tried got a whiff and some skin time (some I’m still trying to wash off ?).

Pinaud Clubman - Total winner! Non greasy (something so was scared of because of its classification as a cheap classic), which is great. Little bit went a long way, but it doesn’t cling if you want it gone. Really good, fresh-ish scent. Mellows our really nicely. Definitely a keeper!

CO Bigelow: Bergamot Amber & CO Bigelow: Cashmere Fig - This particular line of their fragrances are marketed as unisex. I’d mark them on the slightly sophomoric, feminine side though. The scents are pleasant (I immediately thought they’d make great candles). I like the Bergamot Amber the most out of the two. It mellows into a great vanilla-esque scent. The Cashmere Fig is a bit more floral. These (sorry Dave!) will be going into the regift/PIF collection. They will definitely make someone happy! They just aren’t in my wheelhouse.

At last, but never least, my first encounter with the Veg.

Pinaud Clubman: Lilac Vegtal - I’m not sure where to begin. I feel like this scent has to be a running April’s fools joke in the Pinaud offices. Every single positive review has to be paid for or a cruel fake joke because they want you to spend your hard earned cash on it like they did. I should have stopped when I smelled it, but I foolishly applied a drop on my palm. Huge mistake! Luckily it washes moderately easy. I got the lilac but it must be the vegtal part that sours this note. I think I read somewhere someone compared it to cat spray? Close enough. I think we may have found the running PIF inclusion joke for TSC!

On a happier note, I bladed up the RR Baby Smooth. Appears to have perfect alignment with my Astra SP. Fair amount of positive blade exposure and the curve on the head, whoa! I don’t think I’ve seen a blade bend so far. This will be fun! ?

I think it's safe to say that Chris is not amongst the chosen...I wonder how he'd react to TABACAVEG...

I think it's safe to say that Chris is not amongst the chosen...I wonder how he'd react to TABACAVEG...
All the same, what a great PIF, and great reviews of the frags you received!

Lol, I do like Tabac soap...but I’m pretty sure the Veg could ruin even the greatness that is Tabac.

The items really were great; some things just don’t jive. I think I would like to try Pinaud’s Bay Rum and Whiskey Woods at some point though.

Shave #66:

So today I relegated the Feather to my WTG pass only as I did not want my introduction to the BS to be an ATG pass. I’m glad I did!

Two new products tried today from my plethora of new stuff: Grooming Department: Angel and Tiki Aftershave Balm: The Captain.

Would you say I have...a plethora of new stuff? Why yes I would.

GrmDpt: Angel

Cedrus Angel - Lamb tallow. Scent notes: Scent notes: Mandarin, Blackcurrant, Fruit Accord, Cedarwood, Oud, Myrrh, Rose, Ambergris, Amb
er, Opoponax, Guaiacwood, Musk.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Lamb Tallow, Kokum Butter, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Cupuacu Butter, Glycerin, Goat Milk, Sucrose Cocoate, Fragrance, Safflower Oil, Jojoba Oil, Meadowfoam Oil, Babassu Oil, Abyssinian Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Carnauba Wax, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Acacia Senegal Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Sunflower Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Chamomile Extract, Sea Buckthorn Extract, Sacha Inchi Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Kaolin Clay, Silk Peptides, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate.

This soap doesn’t smell like any one of its ingredients distinctly, it is a true blend IMO. The scent is soft, almost like a fond childhood memory, a touch powdery, ever so slightly feminine. Very pleasant. The lather was a bit of a different story. I could not work up the same kind of lather I did yesterday with the beef tallow. It was still slick and easy to lather, but I feel like I didn’t get the same explosion of lather as I do with other soaps. It always stayed kind of thin, even when trying to readadjust more product in. Perhaps it’s because of the tallow base? Or simply the batch? I’m not sure.

In spite of the issues I had with it, the post shave feel and quality was still consistent with the Absinthe & Leather, a very positive thing! For the scent however, I don’t think I would go for the full version of the soap. I’m going to revisit the sample at a later point to try and figure out a richer lather.

Tiki Aftershave Balm was an experience in itself! It is an ultra, ULTRA mentholated soap. Let me reiterate the power and lasting effect of this menthol experience; it felt at least time and a half beyond Proraso Green, if not more. My skin feels great though post shave, it does contain witch hazel among a number of other ingredients.

Now the scent was hard to place. It felt kind of synthetic and kind of peanut butter...weird right? It was a slight turn off, but I could overlook that for the skin feel!

Finally, the RR Baby Smooth. What a wonderful razor! Light is an understatement, it honestly felt about the weight of your average cart razor, maybe less. It was tempting to apply pressure, but I resisted; the knurling is such that I never felt at any point I’d loose my grip. I was able to find the cutting angle moderately easy; lining up the sideburns was a little bit of s guessing game though because of the size of the head. The design, as I noted last night, is quite unique with the extreme curvature, but it works great! I’d place it about the smoothness range of a Tech, but the efficiency may be a step or two higher than the prewar Fat Handle. The short of it...I got a BBS shave with little effort! I’m really pleased with it. It would make for an excellent daily driver.

Today was a fun shave!

The short of it...I got a BBS shave with little effort! I’m really pleased with it. It would make for an excellent daily driver. Today was a fun shave!

That right there is what it is all about, Chris! Great shave and write-up and good review of the GD soap!

So I tried some of the frags/AS, because I had to get into something tonight!

Each of the 4 I tried got a whiff and some skin time (some I’m still trying to wash off ?).

Pinaud Clubman - Total winner! Non greasy (something so was scared of because of its classification as a cheap classic), which is great. Little bit went a long way, but it doesn’t cling if you want it gone. Really good, fresh-ish scent. Mellows our really nicely. Definitely a keeper!

CO Bigelow: Bergamot Amber & CO Bigelow: Cashmere Fig - This particular line of their fragrances are marketed as unisex. I’d mark them on the slightly sophomoric, feminine side though. The scents are pleasant (I immediately thought they’d make great candles). I like the Bergamot Amber the most out of the two. It mellows into a great vanilla-esque scent. The Cashmere Fig is a bit more floral. These (sorry Dave!) will be going into the regift/PIF collection. They will definitely make someone happy! They just aren’t in my wheelhouse.

At last, but never least, my first encounter with the Veg.

Pinaud Clubman: Lilac Vegtal - I’m not sure where to begin. I feel like this scent has to be a running April’s fools joke in the Pinaud offices. Every single positive review has to be paid for or a cruel fake joke because they want you to spend your hard earned cash on it like they did. I should have stopped when I smelled it, but I foolishly applied a drop on my palm. Huge mistake! Luckily it washes moderately easy. I got the lilac but it must be the vegtal part that sours this note. I think I read somewhere someone compared it to cat spray? Close enough. I think we may have found the running PIF inclusion joke for TSC!

On a happier note, I bladed up the RR Baby Smooth. Appears to have perfect alignment with my Astra SP. Fair amount of positive blade exposure and the curve on the head, whoa! I don’t think I’ve seen a blade bend so far. This will be fun! ?

The Veg is certainly a polarizing scent. Your failure was most likely due to not using enough, a mere dab on the hand is not enough...you gotta splash it like you stole it. ...and, I’m surprised you were able to wash it off, man that stuff clings for hours and is revived in the shower. Good on you for trying it out.

The Veg is certainly a polarizing scent. Your failure was most likely due to not using enough, a mere dab on the hand is not enough...you gotta splash it like you stole it. ...and, I’m surprised you were able to wash it off, man that stuff clings for hours and is revived in the shower. Good on you for trying it out.

Lol, the missus might disown me if I were to do such a thing. Guess I’m a pansy! ?

Nice review of the colognes Chris!

As to the Veg, don't PIF it until you decant some into glass (can't believe not one has brought this up yet). I'd let it sit for at least 4 weeks and then revisit it, and like Chris L. said, splash it on, don't dab it.

Great shave, review, and read!

Nice review of the colognes Chris!

As to the Veg, don't PIF it until you decant some into glass (can't believe not one has brought this up yet). I'd let it sit for at least 4 weeks and then revisit it, and like Chris L. said, splash it on, don't dab it.

Great shave, review, and read!

Oh? I’ve never done that before!

Does it really alter the smell that much? All I have to do is stick it in glass?

GearNoir said:
Does it really alter the smell that much? All I have to do is stick it in glass?

Actually yes it does. In fact you should do that with any after shave that comes in plastic. I notice the difference in all the Pinaud Clubmans, and Aqua Velva. Most agree it's best to decant all into glass. I haven't done any others yet.

Actually yes it does. In fact you should do that with any after shave that comes in plastic. I notice the difference in all the Pinaud Clubmans, and Aqua Velva. Most agree it's best to decant all into glass. I haven't done any others yet.

Where might one find a suitable (read inexpensive) application vessel to do this? Do you keep it in the glass till it’s used or do you put it back in the original bottle?

Back