The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„โ˜ƒโ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„โ˜ƒโ˜ƒโ„โ›„โ„๐ŸŽ€๐ŸŽ€๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

There ya go buddy!

Barbershop Week Day 5 - Noble Otter "BarrBarr"

Again, I find it interesting how others interpret the "barbershop" scent. As @GearNoir posted earlier, he doesn't think of bay rum as a barbershop scent. And that's fine. It's not an issue of anyone being wrong, it's just different. So when I read the description for Noble Otter's version of a barbershop scent I was intrigued. Their website lists Lemon, Rosemary, Basil, Oakmoss, Sandalwood & Patchouli in the scent description and after reading some reviews, I ordered a tub.

The soap performs great! But I was a bit perplexed with the scent. There are some great notes listed in the description but I got NONE of it. What I smelled reminded me more of cookies. I got a very strong cinnamon note. IMO it should be called "Snickerdoodle" instead. I don't know.. Maybe I just got an old tub but this reminds me more of a bakery than a barbershop.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

IMG-2579a.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
Noble Otter "BarrBarr" Soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mtn. White Badger Brush
Merkur Futur
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum

Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Last edited:
Need more coffee... I'm gonna have to bring a set up to work so I can brew more.. :coffee:๐Ÿ˜ด

Oooh an AV Musk man hm? Thereโ€™s another one I donโ€™t know what to think of lol. You go ahead and rock it for both of us! :ROFLMAO:

Happy Friday Mark.

Oooh an AV Musk man hm? Thereโ€™s another one I donโ€™t know what to think of lol. You go ahead and rock it for both of us! :ROFLMAO:

Happy Friday Mark.
Yessir!

giphy.gif

Yeah, sets do take up the lion's share of my den. I do have soaps that are stand-alone scents and have to find splashes and colognes that work with them (I like to try to keep a level of continuity scent-wise among my soaps, splashes and frags). I get frustrated sometimes with soaps like Noble Otter's "The Noir Et Vanille" because they make a matching splash but it's never in stock! In fact practically nothing on their website is in stock and hasn't been for quite a while. I'm beginning to wonder if they're still in business.
But yeah if I can find a soap with matching splash and cologne, I'll typically spring for the whole set.
They're taking time away to fully restock and get everything sustainable so they don't have to worry about running out of stuff like they have in the past due to popular demand. They should be back soon, in the next few weeks.

They're taking time away to fully restock and get everything sustainable so they don't have to worry about running out of stuff like they have in the past due to popular demand. They should be back soon, in the next few weeks.
Good to know!! Thanks!

Barbershop Week Day 6

For today's shave let's take a trip across the pond. I've heard Floid referred to as the classic Italian barbershop scent so I went with the RazoRock "What The Puck?!" Blue Label and Blue Foid today. I've had the opportunity to visit Italy twice and loved it each time. Unfortunately I never got to visit a barber while there.

IMG-2584.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
RazoRock "What The Puck?!" Blue Label soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mtn White Badger Brush
Merkur 39C
Personna Med Prep Blade
Alum

Blue Floid Splash

I stayed in Certaldo, a little SW of Florence. Vineyards as far as the eye can see at times when you're not looking at fields of beautiful flowers. I also didn't get a chance to visit a barbershop. My best shot at that would've been when we spent the day in Siena where I almost bought a suit. What a great week.

I stayed in Certaldo, a little SW of Florence. Vineyards as far as the eye can see at times when you're not looking at fields of beautiful flowers. I also didn't get a chance to visit a barbershop. My best shot at that would've been when we spent the day in Siena where I almost bought a suit. What a great week.
OMG that sounds incredibly beautiful!! I hope I get to go back some day.

Loving your thoughts on these "Barber Shop" Scents. They are all very different in their own ways. I am not an overly huge fan of barber shop scents in general though. Just way too powdery for my tastes. There are exceptions though. Like Fine American Blend. Yeah I know it's not a traditional barber shop scent...but it's what I would call a modern version of a barber shop scent. I also have an aftershave (that admittedly I don't use much) by Reuzel (they are know for their pomade) that is a bit of citrus and sandalwood and is a little powdery. I like that scent just fine. I am learning more about some of the international barber shop scents that are in the amber arena. Like those too. I had the Nobel Otter version a while back and when I first sniffed it...I didn't care for it at all. You are right...too much of a snicker-doodle scent for me. So I gave it away without even trying. I now just stay away from barber shop scents as a whole.

Great stuff, Mark. One of my big wet shaving related regrets is not picking up a 400ml bottle of Floid Blue while they were still available.

Back