The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New CBL Scents - review

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
I've been using some of CBL's more recent scents/releases and wanted to give you my thoughts.

First of all, Chris has brought back Orange Dirt, Russian Tea, and Oud Mineral. These need no review. They are classic scents, and Chris' execution of them is excellent.

Vintage - This is my favorite of the new releases. A mild cologne-like quality, without coming off as cologney. It's a perfect balance of warm and woody, but also bright and fresh. To me, it's the perfect scent, and one that I believe will be universally loved. No particular note is a stand out, it's just a beautiful blend that I do not see how anyone would not enjoy.

Renaissance - If you're a fan of Sandalwood or Cedar this is definitely for you. It's a very earthy scent. To me, it has an old, wet stone quality to it. It puts me in the mind of walking though an old medieval castle. The other notes in the mix just balance the scent, and make it more rounded, rather than just being one note and harsh (as sandalwoods can sometimes be).

BEEspoke - Wow! This scent is just amazing. This scent is so complex. It's the scent of honey, without being sickly sweet. It has a slightly waxy, and nicely creamy scent. It doesn't come off as being too gourmand. The other notes in this make it extremely, but subtly, complex. Quite possibly one of Chris's best scents to date. If you have considered it, or wondered about it, just do yourself a favor and try it. You will not be sorry.

Tootsie - This is one that I did not buy. I didn't think I would enjoy it, but I'm curious to hear what others impression are of it.

Dread Pirate Roberts - This is a bay rum scent, but inn a completely different way. Iron Throne was a very nice and slightly sweet take on bay run, with the bay rum being at the forefront. In DPR, the bay rum is almost an afterthought that hides in the background. The briny scent of the sea and the crisp bright citrus and vegetal notes are what hits you right up front.

Private Reserve - This one is a little older, but one that hasn't received the press that is due. Easily, one of Chris' most complex scents. Therefore, it's very hard to describe, other than to say it's amazing! It's creamy, earthy, and warm up front, yet also bright and crisp. It's easy to just get lost in the scent as you lather, because it is so intoxicating. I know this is a limited release, and was an experimental recipe from CBL, and as such will not be made again. When it's gone it's gone, so if you want to experience this amazing scent, jump on it now before it's gone!

Great descriptions KJ, I always have difficulty describing scents so others can imagine them and you did a great job. And I agree, BEE-spoke is an incredible scent, so unique with much to love.

I have 2 more scents almost ready to go, "miracle max" and "Vizzini" (the Sicilian). Max is a woody, earthy chocolate with hints of orange and plum...not as gourmand as it sounds believe me, And the Sicilian is made with real essential oils and fragrance oils, Citrus (tangerine, orange, blood orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit), peach, geranium, sage, oakmoss, and hints of limey bay rum. Both scents dry down to a very enjoyable scent on the skin. I am thinking Miracle Max will be a tonsorial puck. ,

Great descriptions KJ, I always have difficulty describing scents so others can imagine them and you did a great job. And I agree, BEE-spoke is an incredible scent, so unique with much to love.

I have 2 more scents almost ready to go, "miracle max" and "Vizzini" (the Sicilian). Max is a woody, earthy chocolate with hints of orange and plum...not as gourmand as it sounds believe me, And the Sicilian is made with real essential oils and fragrance oils, Citrus (tangerine, orange, blood orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit), peach, geranium, sage, oakmoss, and hints of limey bay rum. Both scents dry down to a very enjoyable scent on the skin. I am thinking Miracle Max will be a tonsorial puck. ,
Go ahead and take my fun coupons right now @CBLindsay !!😂😍

1639775166964.gif

giphy.gif

With all this great CBL love going on...my only question is...why haven't I joined the rewards program yet. Wait...there is no rewards program? Well, what did I not sign up for then?

Great stuff @Spider, but where is Hello? I’m terrible at describing scents, maybe @Scuttlesoap can help?

Hello is as complex as Inigo Montoya himself - at it’s heart - it is lavender done to perfection- sure to please both shavers that love the note and those who have apprehension about florals. With the citrus included - it has a bright opening - and with the green, woody, and earthy notes - it keeps everything level. I have to say this is one of the best blended scents on the market - With the highs (citrus and greens) and lows (cedar and patchouli) and lavender all complimenting each other and ensuring not one note overpowers.

I just really dig this soap/AS!

Hey @CBLindsay - - just checking in on the two new scents - are they still planned? I blame you for my latest razor binge - had to do something while I waited and that something turned out to be Stainless Steel Razors 😂

So no pressure - just checking in.

Back