The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Challenge!!!

We have had weight loss challenges in the past, and some have had success with them. What I like about the challenges are that they allow you to contemplate on what you can do to improve your health. But maybe it isn't the losing of weight you need. Maybe you don't want to make a commitment that lasts a year. My life has been change after change after change for the last three years. Partly because of Danger Baby, and partly because I have had a couple career changes in the past six or seven months. First half of 2023 treated me well with my health and I made some positive headway. But around October of 2023 the seams pulled apart. My issues were and are...let's just say...getting bigger. Anyway, enough about me...let me talk about us.

I am proposing a two month challenge. Who are you challenging? Well, hopefully yourself.

1713624636345.png

During this challenge, I want you to pick something you want to work on. It can be anything. You want to increase your step count...make a goal. You want to get stronger...set a goal. You want to just be able to get up and move more...tell us your goal. And after you set a goal...I want you to update us. But not just your successes...but tell us abut those days when it was hard to get out of bed and do your routine. Tell us about those workouts that just didn't go right. Tell us whatever you want.

1713624863392.gif

No goal is to small. Just set one.

Okay here is how it will work...

Between now and May 1st, sign up below and state a goal.
After May 1st...post in the thread at least once a week.
On or after June 30th...tell us how the challenge went.

It's that simple. But wait! There is more!

1713624926524.png

Prizes? We love prizes! What are the prizes? Well...to be honest I don't know yet. What I can tell you is that it will be related to this site in some way. It won't be something from my stash...so you don't have to worry about getting some half used soap with weird looking hairs in it.

1713625297994.png

Once I decide...I will let you all know. But there will be three prizes. One for the month of May. One for the month of June. And one for the completion of the challenge. How do you win the prize?

May Prize
State your goal.
Post in the thread at least once a week for the entire month.
At the end of the month, of those who meet the above parameters I will select at random a person.

June Prize
State your goal.
Post in the thread at least once a week for the entire month.
At the end of the month, of those who meet the above parameters I will select at random a person.

Overall Challenge Prize
State your goal.
Post in the thread at least once a week for the entire challenge.
Post in the thread at the completion of the challenge what you accomplished, or what you learned, or what you think you could have done better.
At the end of the challenge, of those who meet the above parameters I will select at random a person.

If at any stage, there is no one person that meets the parameters, then there will be no prize awarded. If you start late and don't qualify for the May prize you can still qualify for the June prize. But you will not qualify for the overall prize.

It is really simple.

This challenge is not meant for just weight loss. If that is your goal to achieve overall well-being...then go for it. But sometimes health comes in the form of just getting off the couch and going for a 10-20 minute walk. Maybe it is attending a yoga class. Maybe it is lifting weights or increasing a step count. Maybe it is eating fewer calories. This is up to you.

1713625039628.png

I will shortly post a signup page and we can go from there. Sign up first then sometime afterward post a goal.

Begin date is May 1st. I'll pick a prize winner on June 1st or 2nd for the month of May and on July 1st or 2nd for the June prize and the overall challenge prize.

1713625079266.png

Post and Copy Below this Line
________________________________________________________________________________________

1. dangerousdon

Yup...this is still here...

________________________________________________________________________________________

1. dangerousdon

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi

I'm going to give this a try.

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf

My goal is simply to get back into the habit of working out. I had a shoulder injury that I went into physical therapy for which kept me from lifting for a while. I ended up dropping out of PT because I broke my ribs. I'm not fully recovered from either, but I think I'm good enough to start my lifting program over from the beginning, starting with an empty bar. I also want to get into cardio, because it's been forever since I've done anything like that and I'm very out of shape, like partly winded after going up a flight of stairs. Ugh.

The hardest part for me, is I prefer to work out in the morning. So I need to wake up an hour early to get my workout in, which means waking up at 4AM. THAT is going to be the big challenge of making this a habit.

Ideally, I'll be lifting M,W,F, and doing cardio Tu,Th.

Between now and May 1st, sign up below and state a goal.

@heysi @ShawnF make sure you state your goal before Wednesday.

I guess the goal is a part if this isn't it.....

Similar to KJ, I want to get back into the habit. Two summers ago my right shoulder was giving me all sorts of problems. After a bunch of useless pt that only aggravated it and an orthopedic Dr that seemed clueless I finally talked to an orthopedic Dr that told me I had frozen shoulder.
A couple of shots of lube later and I had full range of movement by the time I walked out the door.
Last summer, the left shoulder did the same thing. That one took a couple of treatments to get it loosened up, but it is about 90% now.
I made a few weights (who'd have thought id make something right?) quite some time ago with the intention of rebuilding some lost strength. They mostly just sit around waiting however.

So my goal is to try and get to the point I can do 2 sets daily on my arm and shoulder exercises. They aren't stupid heavy weights, but enough that I can only do a few overhead presses and one set of curls at the moment.
I still have deadlift type strength over my weight class due to the nature of my work, but a lot of my more isolated upper body stuff has diminished significantly.
In the process I would like to develop a bit more cardio also. I feel I have been getting lazy over the winter.

I have two goals.....to drink more water and to walk more.

I used to have a fitbit which is lost among the remaining boxes of our move so I won't be tracking my steps. I currently walk just where I need to but I intend to take a walk around the building at work each day and to try to make the walk a bit longer each time. Eventually I'd like to be going around the block once a day (its a very long block).

And I'm very bad about drinking plenty of water (yes, I live in a desert) but I want to get up to the recommended 2 liters a day. I bought a stainless tumbler and brought it to work....so I'm ready to start that goal this morning.

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo

Okay I will play. My goal is 15 pounds down in 6 weeks. Why 6 weeks? Well we are going to Hawaii and while I do a pretty good job at rocking the dad bod... i'd like the dad bod to be a little bit smaller.

i'll give this a shot

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver

i'll give this a shot My goal will be to see if i can loose another 10 to 15 pounds doing hot yoga.

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver

Thanks for the mention @Spider. I'd been thinking about signing up, but this is sort of my job, so just felt a bit weird. That said, I'm semi-retired, don't have a ton of clients, and think it could be fun. I'll do my best just to shut up and enjoy everyone else's comments.

My goals, A) Not to quit ballet. This is by far the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life, and the school I was studying at went bankrupt a month or so ago. It's wound up forcing me to go up in level to classes that are frankly over my head, and in that world, it seems to be sink or swim. Still, it's really been a huge balance to mostly just lifting weights for the last 4 years or so.
B) I weight train very regularly, it's a lifestyle at this point. With phases where I'm purposefully gaining weight. I'm come to the tail end of my best season of massing and planing to start losing some fat in about 3 weeks. Since this was already the plan, hopefully that's ok here.

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver
7. HMan

My goal is simply to get back into the habit of working out. I had a shoulder injury that I went into physical therapy for which kept me from lifting for a while. I ended up dropping out of PT because I broke my ribs. I'm not fully recovered from either, but I think I'm good enough to start my lifting program over from the beginning, starting with an empty bar. I also want to get into cardio, because it's been forever since I've done anything like that and I'm very out of shape, like partly winded after going up a flight of stairs. Ugh.

The hardest part for me, is I prefer to work out in the morning. So I need to wake up an hour early to get my workout in, which means waking up at 4AM. THAT is going to be the big challenge of making this a habit.

Ideally, I'll be lifting M,W,F, and doing cardio Tu,Th.

@heysi @ShawnF make sure you state your goal before Wednesday.
Great stuff KJ! Starting over is never easy. But I’m a firm believer that if you start of small huge gains are not far behind!

Oh…and Happy Birthday!

I guess the goal is a part if this isn't it.....

Similar to KJ, I want to get back into the habit. Two summers ago my right shoulder was giving me all sorts of problems. After a bunch of useless pt that only aggravated it and an orthopedic Dr that seemed clueless I finally talked to an orthopedic Dr that told me I had frozen shoulder.
A couple of shots of lube later and I had full range of movement by the time I walked out the door.
Last summer, the left shoulder did the same thing. That one took a couple of treatments to get it loosened up, but it is about 90% now.
I made a few weights (who'd have thought id make something right?) quite some time ago with the intention of rebuilding some lost strength. They mostly just sit around waiting however.

So my goal is to try and get to the point I can do 2 sets daily on my arm and shoulder exercises. They aren't stupid heavy weights, but enough that I can only do a few overhead presses and one set of curls at the moment.
I still have deadlift type strength over my weight class due to the nature of my work, but a lot of my more isolated upper body stuff has diminished significantly.
In the process I would like to develop a bit more cardio also. I feel I have been getting lazy over the winter.
These are good things! And thanks for signing up!

Back