The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rich's Journal: Adventures with Life and Sharp things

153EE927-BC7A-45D7-98FE-D5F72B3DF9B5.jpeg
14 Apr 2023

Slim Hipster

pretty good shave today. I’m really noticing my badger brushes not giving up the lather. But Rods soaps work just fine even when thin. A Wizamet of unknown age brings out the Slim’s gentler nature and in 3 passes I am at DFS where I want to be. i should use hipster more often. It’s a pleasant fragrance that performs just fine.

24 May 2023 Island Man start of summer shave

vector with Kai Guarded blade. It’s getting towards the end of its service life. Two passes to DFS. I was watching Leon do one of his signature long-format shaves. I don’t know how he does it! My hull plating could never hold up!

IMG_0350.jpeg

Man! Talk about necrotic threads!
Started a series of shaves today using Arko and Old Spice for a while. It’s easy to jump from soap to soap and razor to razor. I’m sticking with a battered SuperSpeed during this series. I figure a couple few shaves will help me find a center and re-boot some enthusiasm.

I’d forgotten how great a latherer Arko is! Mounds of pillowy lather from not a big load. It must like my water. 4 passes (kinda uncommon for me) and got a great and predictable result. I think I’m going to enjoy this.

Worked on my ailing Lawn Tractor today. Tried changing the blades with 50% success. Rounded off the bolt on one on them (dang it!). Bypassed a safety device that was preventing it from running and managed to even cut some grass before fatigue ended my day.

My Dad used to ask me when I would finish a task if i was satisfied with my work. Today I am.

IMG_8323.jpeg

Everyman Shave #2
Today I got another helping of Arko and Old Spice (not to be confused with the classic play Arsenic and Old Lace). Removal duties with a seasoned looking Gillette SuperSpeed.
Two excellent passes to BBS- using a Voskhod blade. Couldn’t really ask for better.
Preparing, sorting and boxing debris from the basement disaster. Ugh.

IMG_8332.jpeg

More flooding?
On the eve of TSC con, our basement flooded again. Alas! But while I did get a lot of water in my basement, a neighbor across the street had his sewer back up! (Eeewww) But, he just ended his term as a city councilman and knows some people. The wast water people hav3 been swarming our neighborhood.

Everyman series #3 and #4

Arko and Old Spice
Gillette Super Speed
Voskhod 3 and 4

Arko continues to do its job. #3 was lathered with an antique StrongSet and was predictably great, however, #4 with a semogue boar I under loaded a bit and had to add some additional product and boost things back to spec. Old Spice is it’s predictable greatness.

I think I’ll do a second week of this series.

IMG_8333.jpeg

Back