The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Staying Fit Staying Sane

Whew! Pooped this morning after the elliptical and the lower back has been a light tight (not hurting) for a few days. Had a extra 1.5 hrs thrown into the walking mix yesterday afternoon as we went out with friends.

Today I joined a mens group called F3, a Christian based mens leadership group that gets together twice a week to work out rain or shine. Today we had a great workout, it was hard to keep up, but I'll get there!

Haven't posted here in a while, but training has been happening just like before.
I did a decent job loosing the belly, and it's really helped a lot in ballet classes. I upped to 3x a week now, and feel like actual progress is happening.
Gym wise, I started training with a well respected guy at the gym who's been training literally forever and has his own way of doing things that I've always been keen to learn. A very cool guy around 50 yo, used to lift super heavy, but now uses a very mind-muscle connection focused technique, using very light weight and slow reps where you literally feel just the focus muscle working. It takes massive concentration, but it's also feeling very effective.

Today we did legs, and I'm just hoping I can manage to walk tomorrow, it was very intense, using virtually no weight at all. Really interesting...

Haven't posted here in a while, but training has been happening just like before.
I did a decent job loosing the belly, and it's really helped a lot in ballet classes. I upped to 3x a week now, and feel like actual progress is happening.
Gym wise, I started training with a well respected guy at the gym who's been training literally forever and has his own way of doing things that I've always been keen to learn. A very cool guy around 50 yo, used to lift super heavy, but now uses a very mind-muscle connection focused technique, using very light weight and slow reps where you literally feel just the focus muscle working. It takes massive concentration, but it's also feeling very effective.

Today we did legs, and I'm just hoping I can manage to walk tomorrow, it was very intense, using virtually no weight at all. Really interesting...
Been looking into the very slow reps kind of workout. Not sure I want to do that yet. But been seeing a lot of guys who are older do these muscle mind connection workouts. Interested to hear how it works out for you. I’ve been doing more in the way of power lifting. But as I turn 51 this month recovery sometimes is an issue.

Been looking into the very slow reps kind of workout. Not sure I want to do that yet. But been seeing a lot of guys who are older do these muscle mind connection workouts. Interested to hear how it works out for you. I’ve been doing more in the way of power lifting. But as I turn 51 this month recovery sometimes is an issue.
My personally feeling is I've seen a lot of people do slow for slow's sake training, and that seems pointless. If you're doing power lifting, I'd just suggest adding in some higher rep set, 10-15 reps, a simply control the negative. If you start to feel you're developing a mind-muscle connection, then the slower constant tension reps make sense, but before that it's going to feel more frustrating and like busy work.

Well the special super slow reps phase is over, but I'm taking a bit of it forward. It's was really mentally tough to go that slow, but as long was I kept my concentration, it was also very informative, and for sure is influencing my technique and more normal, but still controlled bar speeds.

At the same time, ballet seems to really have captured my attention, and especially after this training cycle, my legs really feel the best I can remember in a long time.

I was thinking of occasionally adding 4th class per week, but it gets to be a real balancing act with the gym stuff. In fact this week my training plan was way too ambitious, and I had to scrap it midweek. Largely because, at the beginning of last week I got a message from the school that it was bankrupt and all classes were cancelled effective immediately.

So most of my free time has just been trying to scramble to find other places, find my student friends. I tested out two different classes on Monday, one was way harder than the advertised level, so I literally had to bail. And had just enough time to run to another school and make it to a class there which was 'just right'. But it was basically 2.5 hours of ballet, and though I didn't feel it at the time, it caught up with me later in the week. Along with trying a really stupid training program, yeah even after years of writing programs, I still am my own worst client.

Anyway, hoping next week is more stable, most of the classes are in line. I had the exact same schedule for two years running, so, though small in the scheme of things, it's still something to get used to.

Back