The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2021 TSC Weight Loss Challenge!

I'm big into biometrics. Lab Results. Gene Testing. What have you that allows you to get a really good understanding of what your health is and what it needs to be.

I go and get lab work done and go see my doc twice a year (I have pretty good insurance). There is a lot more that I would like to do, but some of it is expensive. But any measurement that can be compared to the last or next is a good thing. Although, I always advocate for learning exactly what those tests are and what they mean. There are some tests that are not very helpful on their own. And medical professionals are not always up on what the latest and greatest studies and research are. Always do your own research that way you can have a conversation with your medical professional. If they disagree with your assessment, that's fine, just an opportunity for them to explain it and for you to learn a bit more.
Great advice. Agree 100% on the usefulness of having meaningful lab work done and responding appropriately. In 2019, the most basic blood test performed by our family doc indicated that something was amiss with my Bride. After further investigation, we learned that she had early stage multiple myeloma. She's trim and fit, so the blood test was our first tip that something was not right. Catching cancer early makes the difference between life and death. We sought out the world's leading experts at the Mayo Clinic for her treatment.

You would immediately recognize our Mayo Clinic doc if you saw him. I gave him a nice shave kit that included a SS Karve with OC and standard base plates, a nice boar brush, SV soap, and Feather blades. He always sports a nice shave. :cool:

A simple takeaway for me is that I'll never go more than a year without having my basic blood work done. In fact, I recently joined a clinical trial where I'm having a battery of additional blood tests performed every three years to check for precursor conditions that would eventually lead to multiple myeloma. I'm theoretically at higher risk because my Dad also had it.

I strive to understand as much as I can in order to ask good questions of the doctors. I always take a list of questions to any doctor visits. In fact, I probably drive them nuts with questions. I'm also involved in organizations that provide training via webinars, etc.

Last edited:
Month-end check-in time for me. Between 148.0 and 151.6 lbs all through the month. That's pretty consistent but I'm not sure I'll be at my target of 170-175 lbs by year's end. ;)
1635767767336.png

Now that I've gotten refocused on proper eating and exercise, I'm heading in the right direction. I weigh each Monday and Thursday. I hope to be at my 198 lb target weight sometime around the end of the year.

1.jpg

When I am behaving, this is pretty much a typical day...

2.jpg

I also got a good report at my annual physical in October. Blood work and everything else was good.

How is everyone else doing?

Mid-month weight-in for me and it's YUCKY!! I hit the lowest I have been all year long last week, weighing in at 147.0 lbs. Blah!

1636980341800.png

*UGH* 146.2 lbs this morning. Almost a full pound less than my next lowest point this year. My graph is backwards to my goal. :cautious:

I started Keto and Intermittent Fasting again today! I have been a bit stressed the last month plus and have been hitting the sweets and drinking beer. SO, I'm going to eat Keto/IF up till thanksgiving and then splurge and focus on eating healthy through Christmas.

@Spider I forget, are we planning to do another challenge? If so, I'm game to help for sure!

(y) on the Keto / IF (if that's what floats your boat 😜)
(n) on the sweets and beer (unless they're keto or you have them intermittently 😜😜 )

I started Keto and Intermittent Fasting again today!
Yeah, I've started to refocus as well. Started going to OMAD today, and eating as keto as I can. I ate pretty fatty last week to lead up to this. And so far, so good. I blew right past lunch without hunger or thought of food. I"ll do my best though the holiday with only a copuple of allowed splurges. Then will totally refocus on Extended Fasts and weight lifting after the first of the year.

@Spider I forget, are we planning to do another challenge?
I hadn't planned on it, but if someone else wants to run it, I'm in.

I don't think I can afford to drop another 10 lbs !!
I can !!!! That and about 5 more lbs..... I mean i'm still in the range the Dr. says I should be but I am about 15 lbs over what I have always been since high school..... I guess thats not to bad though....

It's the end/start of another month, which means that it's time for another look at my adventure to hit 170 lbs before year-end!

I end November EXACTLY where I started it, @ 149.6 lbs , down 7.34 lbs for the year. :cautious: Time is running out.

1638359445485.png

I'm in the process of setting up the 2022 Weight Loss Challenge thread. Details to come soon.

Back