The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The prodigal shaver returns to the community

skypilot83

Shave Newbie
Howdy y'all, I'm new here. My name is Chad, I've been out of the market/community since 2018 due to how toxic a lot of the shave groups were becoming. I just went on a buying spree. I needed some new blades and went to buy some and discovered that just about every brand had changed. When i got out of the community the Rockwell model T had not been released because of manufacturing issues. So that should give you a timeline. I come back and most russian blades are getting hard to find or expensive. The russian blades made by P&G are now being made in India and are supposed to be identical to the russian blades of the same packaging. I bought a few hundred of those but also got 1,000 russian made astra sp blades. Personna comfort coated (lab blues) are no longer being made and the personna israeli plant shut down so now personna is all german made platinum chromes which are supposedly identical to the Israeli reds. Even my indian made gws (gillette wilkinson sword) blades have moved to a plant to china. Luckily i was able to get a few hundred of them.

I'm trying to get used to the indian made Astra SP blades. They seem a little a hair sharper and smoother than the Russian made ones.

I also got a BAD case of rad. Since my mother died i spent some portion of my inheritance on fishing gear and now shaving stuff.

I was able to make it to Q brothers in Chicago and discovered that the half of their store which was dedicated to wet shaving has been cut in half and no longer carry any artisanal goods. Still dropped 400 bucks in there though lol.

Latest razor acquisitions over the past 3 months:

Timeless .68 scalloped and polished head with a chinese 316L steel clone of the timeless plaid handle.

TRC stainless steel bead blasted razor.

EJ DE87

Merkur 33C

WCS Hyperion -waiting on delivery

Yates 921-M -waiting for it to be shipped

4 Yintal liveben 316L razors with 316L clone gillette red tip handles

2 Yaqi 316L Ghost .70 razors and 316L yintal clone timeless plaid handles

3 merkur futur clones

5 muhle clone handles

A muhle R41

A muhle R89

A yaqi tile head

A Razorock Mamba .70

A second Razorock game changer .68 gap

A ds cosmetic d8 head

Some gillette tech type razors made by Baili

I think I'm set on razors for a while unless anyone has some recommendations. I tend to like milder razors.

That's another thing that has changed. The meaning of words. What we called aggressiveness is now called efficient and what we called efficient is still called efficient. I'm trying to learn all the new lingo again and I'll be darned but it is not sticking

Anywho. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Welcome back Brother! I think you dropped a decent penny on some really great quality shaving gear! Welcome to TSC!

Welcome to the Cadre

I think they are still being made, but are now called “Accuforge.” Personna apparently decided to rebrand last year
Oh that's right. I can't find em anywhere but razor emporium and they're expensive like feathers

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Welcome to The Cadre!!
to Q brothers in Chicago and discovered that the half of their store which was dedicated to wet shaving has been cut in half and no longer carry any artisanal goods.
That’s very sad. I haven’t been the in quite some time, but their selection uses to be awesome.
due to how toxic a lot of the shave groups were becoming
You’ll find we’re very different here. Looks like you’ve found a new home.
I think I'm set on razors for a while unless anyone has some recommendations
Feather AS-D2. I love mild razors, and this one is perfect.
What we called aggressiveness is now called efficient
This change is new to me. Aggressive and efficient are two different things completely. But words on this community are totally subjective to your own experience. We all describe things how we observe them. I can’t tell you what aggressive is to your experience, but you’ll know when you feel it.

Welcome Chad! Glad you could join in!

What are some of your favorite brushes and soaps/AS?

Welcome to the Cadre. I left a large shaving community rife with bickering and childish drama and came here shortly after it started up. Haven’t been back to that cesspool for years.
I'm trying to get used to the indian made Astra SP blades. They seem a little a hair sharper and smoother than the Russian made ones.
Oh no, sharp Astra blades! What’s next, Earth spinning backwards? 😉

Back