The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Upcoming Show Topic - COVID 19 How are you doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
As promised here is one of the topics we will be discussing. When replying to this thread want we are looking for is this:
1. What have and your families doing to keep sane? Videos are welcome, as are comments.
2. Do you have a new hobby? since this all began
3. What are you communities doing to help folks get through this

* NOTE* please no political statements, Just positive motivational feel good stories PLEASE*

1. Trying to stick to a routine during the day, especially revolving around school and work. Wake up, get ready for the day, eat breakfast, get a little bit of free time, start school/work, try to finish by around lunch time, lunch, some free time on electronics, then electronics always and go figure things out yourself till dinner. Evenings are a little more fluid.

2. No real new hobbies, but I’ve begun turning my bible study skills into a video series.

3. My neighborhood community is doing food distribution, some free meals, keeping those on social media aware of citywide decisions and health initiatives being made, etc. My church community is checking in with members via phone calls, holding virtual church services/devotional/studies, running errands for elder/disabled members, continuing to aid local and foreign missions work, etc.

1. I'm considered "essential" as I work at a telecommunications co. so I haven't had to deal with what a lot of other have. My wife had her hours reduced for about a month but the governor eased some of the restrictions and she's since gone back to work full time.

2. No new hobbies but I've begun to re-educate myself on reading music. I used to be fairly proficient at it years ago but I let it get away from me. Learning a lot of new songs for the country band I'm in, in preparation for when we can get back out playing shows (can't come soon enough!!).

3. Same as Chis said above; community food distribution. Several people are making cloth face masks for free. At my company, we've suspended service termination for people who can't pay due to financial hardships from the pandemic. For those families whose kids are tele-learning, we've doubled their internet speeds for free for the duration of the school year.

1. Sanity? What's that?
Mostly just trying to keep the kids occupied and happy since they haven't gotten to go anywhere. Wife is working from home via teletherapy which is a challenge to deal with since she has to make it as private as possible. As a dispatcher for an electrical utility I am an essential employee and must still go into the office for work.

2. Does catching up on yardwork count? Lol nothing new but trying to get some thing rolling that have been a bit back burner.

3. The community is doing much the same as most areas currently. Trying to protect small businesses, making sure basic needs are met and no ones utilities are turned off.

Amber and I are both essential, so our workweek is largely unchanged. On base we are required to wear masks if we are within 6 ft of another person.

The Air Force Marketing team is doing a lot of contests, trivia nights, photo submissions, and other events on a daily basis during the week, to keep people engaged and entertained. So many of our evenings are spent doing those events online. We’ve won a few gift certificates too. I just won a $50 commissary gift card this evening for winning Science Trivia. Those are pretty fun.

No new hobbies, really don’t have any extra free time. But the season has changed and warmer weather brings yard work and garden preparation. All this spring rain has made my lawn grow like crazy.... and it takes about 4 hours to mow. (I have 7 acres, and no I don’t mow the whole thing). We’ve prepped the garden for planting, by putting fertilizer, mulch, weed control and landscape fabric down. My garden is about 2300 sq ft. And I just ordered 75 tree seedlings (oak, maple, and birch) to start reforesting part of my property. I plan to spend a lot of time working on my property this year.

But the newest thing we are doing is the Zoom calls with the Cadre! This is new and different and takes membership with the cadre to the next level! It’s so much fun and Amber even enjoys sitting in and listening/participating with me. If you’re a member here, you really need to join a session sometime and see what it’s all about.

I need to do the zoom thing. I just missed the one I think was the first one. Another engagement, and it obviously wasn't too important as I have no idea what it was.

As the weather here in Michigan has finally gotten nicer, I have taken to walking every evening after supper with my lovely War Department. We have lots of laughs, and tonight I actually really pushed myself and we did a pretty rapid 1/2 mile. Heart failure sucks, but I've lived at least 13 years longer than was expected!

Outside of performing work tasks each day, I have been able to do some house work that I have been putting off or need to do.. Pressure wash the walkway, driveway, and house. Took a bunch of crap to the dump. Painting a room for the new baby on the way. A lot, and a lot, and a lot of yard work.

Since this has all began...I have actually exercised more than I did while I was working. With the meager weights I have I have been able to do a full body workout three to four days a week. I have also been riding the bike more often and stuck about 20 pounds in my back pack and "hike" around the neighborhood. I want to build a pull-up bar...but just haven't got around to it yet.

I have done some other things here and there...color in a book and paint a couple ceramic pieces.

One of the things I wanted to do was read more. I just haven't accomplished that yet.

The biggest positive that I've experienced during this time is the increased time I get to spend with my daughter and wife. I got to really whip the back yard into shape and make it a fun place for the little one.

My new hobby is wielding straight razors. Its turned into quite the zen-like experience., as well as an exercise in wound care.

1. Getting a ton of work done around the house, lots of the little things that never make it to the top of the list. Also, my wife and I committed to walking 30 miles in April which we both completed. We are going to increase the mileage for May.

2. Probably not the healthiest thing, but I bought a pipe to try out.

3. My wife is a full time teachers aid, but also works a couple days a week at the local YMCA. She volunteered to help with their "Shepherding Program" where they call and check on their senior members and make sure they are ok and have everything that they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back