The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage razor acquisition

BrisketGuy

Shave Member
Wilbert Cutlery Co., Chicago.

The trademark was used by well-known and popular Sears, Roebuck & Co., 1908 - 1921.
The razor 5/8, barber's notch, full hollow.
There is an etching on the blade: "Regal".
The tang is covered.

found this online. Scales snd tang appear to be ceramic. Not shave ready, gonna try stropping it first. If that doesn't work, will have to hone it.
20230923_163832.jpg

Hi @BrisketGuy, super nice score! These super thin double concave razors are excellent shavers! I have several from Sears and Roebuck and they are excellent blades, all mine are marked “Queen.”

The scales are mounded celluloid and the covered tang is likely celluloid, but I have owned several examples with celluloid scales and an ivory covered tang!

Good luck!

Hi @BrisketGuy, super nice score! These super thin double concave razors are excellent shavers! I have several from Sears and Roebuck and they are excellent blades, all mine are marked “Queen.”

The scales are mounded celluloid and the covered tang is likely celluloid, but I have owned several examples with celluloid scales and an ivory covered tang!

Good luck!
All my other straight razors are either bakelite scales or wood. Thought this might be ceramic at first, but while inspecting it more realized it's not, but some other type of hard plastic that feels almost like ceramic. Bet your right it being celluloid. Thanks

Bought this vintage Gillette travel kit, because I remember using the Gillette brush plus shaving cream. Really liked it. First brush I ever used. But they quit making it. Everything in this is unopened new stuff. Razor is 1987 Atra Plus hoing by date code on it. Might try razor just to see if blades are still good or not, but probably stick with my DE and straight razors. Don't like cartridge razors anymore due to blade cost and razor bumps they cause. Definitely trying the shave cream. It was pretty good back then. Guessing the Artisan Shave soaps made now are probably better or atleast slicker.
20240420_075018.jpg

Bought this vintage Gillette travel kit, because I remember using the Gillette brush plus shaving cream. Really liked it. First brush I ever used. But they quit making it. Everything in this is unopened new stuff. Razor is 1987 Atra Plus hoing by date code on it. Might try razor just to see if blades are still good or not, but probably stick with my DE and straight razors. Don't like cartridge razors anymore due to blade cost and razor bumps they cause. Definitely trying the shave cream. It was pretty good back then. Guessing the Artisan Shave soaps made now are probably better or atleast slicker.
View attachment 130088

Back