The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Been kind of back on the wagon lately ... my wife is working her a$$ off, trying to lose weight and one of the things she's doing is cutting back, or cutting out, alcohol, so I'm trying to be supportive.

Thought about having a glass last night but didn't. I've got a new bottle of Willett Pot Still that I'd like to get into, as well as finally opening up my bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel.

Brought a nice bottle with us and had it with dinner last night.

Starting tonight with a White Russian. I’ve been remiss in posting our beverage consumption.

Frozen passion fruit Mai Tai with rum floater.

Finish the evening with amaretto on the rocks.

NurseDave said:
Brought a nice bottle with us and had it with dinner last night.

The next time I am in Cali you need to teach me the ways of the wine. I am so green when it comes to it. We have been to a few tastings and I know I prefer stuff in the middle ground to sweet side. Anything overly dry just doesn't do it for me. My wife is the opposite. So sometimes at dinner trying to find a good bottle to buy that we both will enjoy is quite difficult. I enjoy Lambrusco, Pinto Grigio, Riesling, and I am a sucker for a dessert Moscato wine. Oh and champagne I like the sweeter champagnes. I know there has to be a good middle ground wine my wife and I can enjoy without breaking the bank too bad.

Cvargo said:
The next time I am in Cali you need to teach me the ways of the wine. I am so green when it comes to it. We have been to a few tastings and I know I prefer stuff in the middle ground to sweet side. Anything overly dry just doesn't do it for me. My wife is the opposite. So sometimes at dinner trying to find a good bottle to buy that we both will enjoy is quite difficult. I enjoy Lambrusco, Pinto Grigio, Riesling, and I am a sucker for a dessert Moscato wine. Oh and champagne I like the sweeter champagnes. I know there has to be a good middle ground wine my wife and I can enjoy without breaking the bank too bad.

Check out Malbec, Chad. Not too dry, not too sweet. Might be a good starting point.

Deal, you show up and if you have time we’ll treat you to a tour of some of the best Napa has to offers and some awesome tastings!

Looks like you’re white wine drinkers, and 95% of what I have is red. For whites, Reislings might be your best best. They can range from dessert sweet to dry. So asking for a dry Reisling might hit both your likes. For a red, Malbec is a good suggestion, I would say Merlot. While dry, it can be nice and smooth and even not killer tannins to make your mouth pucker.

NurseDave said:
Deal, you show up and if you have time we’ll treat you to a tour of some of the best Napa has to offers and some awesome tastings!

Looks like you’re white wine drinkers, and 95% of what I have is red. For whites, Reislings might be your best best. They can range from dessert sweet to dry. So asking for a dry Reisling might hit both your likes. For a red, Malbec is a good suggestion, I would say Merlot. While dry, it can be nice and smooth and even not killer tannins to make your mouth pucker.

I have had some delicious tasting red wine but don't ever remember what it was. The wife and I are talking about doing a cruise up the california coast that has a lot of the stops with emphasis on wine. What I need to do is bring a notebook with me when we do go to wine tastings. I usually just go with the thought process of... i'll remember... I never remember.

My wife and I only really have been able to agree on a couple of wines. I prefer reds, but her acid reflux is so bad, she has to drink white. We usually end up getting a Pinot Grigio or my I will drink anything mod kicks in and and she gets a Moscato or Gewürztraminer. My preferred red is a Syrah, but they can be tough to find around here lately.

Stopped off at the liquor store on the way home. Megan wanted wine. Sorry Nursedave... It's boxed chardonnay.

Anyways I was this. I love Glenlivet I really like em all but I've never seen this one

Wow this sweet. I have never had a single malt this sweet before. I think this will need to be a dessert scotch if there is such a thing. I prefer the 14 year.

SCORE!!

I was in the right place at the right time today! Never had this, but I know it disappears off the shelves almost as soon as it is put out.

clyde72 said:
SCORE!!

I was in the right place at the right time today!
1f603.png
Never had this, but I know it disappears off the shelves almost as soon as it is put out.

Great score! I had some at a friend's bachelor party years ago. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Haven’t actually been having wine very often and got a hankering. So I opened one up to enjoy through the evening.

There was another "Whiskey Gathering" that I attended with friends last night. Basically this is pot luck thing where everyone just brings a bottle or two or more. Here is what was on the table. Interesting thing is the only cordination that we do is when and where. This is our 6th gathering and there hasn't been 2 bottles of the same libation brought to anyone gathering yet.

I can honestly say that I have never tried any of those. The regular Knob Creek used to be a favorite of mine.

Back