The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Ormaie - Le Passant
(From official sample)
This one is really growing on me. Very smooth, classic lavender and vanilla. Think Caron Pour Un Homme sans any medicinal old fashioned lavender.
Wears very light, and definitely more on the dandy than hair chested lavender style, making it perfect for any situation. Longevity is ridiculous, especially considering it's all natural. Easy all day plus at a steady low hum.
I'll probably pick this up soon, as it's actually something I can get in town. The bottle is pretty cool too.

3770011788057_1.jpg

I had a bit of a sampling binge yesterday. A few stand outs:

Started with the same Ormaie I wore today. I've been looking for scents that can deal with hot sweaty ballet classes without becoming obnoxious. Clearly a thin line there! This one is absolutely perfect in that role, and the more I wear it the more at home I feel with it. it's a special one, but also one that doesn't shout for attention.

Of course in the PM, something with a bit more oomph was in order and I wound up having about 5 samples on at once.

Czech and Speake - Frankincense and Myrrh
(From a free sample I got with Cuba)
Holy old school barbershop batman! I wound up bouncing a couple of pings back and forth with Mark about this. You'd think Avignon like vibes, but no not at all. Like I told Mark, if this is a church scent, it's The Church of the Man Cave. This is hair chested, in a hot steaming right out of the shower kind of way.
Pretty fabulous, and C&S is officially on my radar now. They have frequent sales, so worth subbing to their newsletter.

Maitre Gantier et Parfumeur
Grain de Plaisir - Holy old school lemon drop candy batman! Supposedly there's a celery note here, that I didn't get, just a great lemon drop opening and then a lovely light herbal fougere.
This is a super interesting house that seems pretty under the radar but they have a number of classic type scents and a very interesting pedigree. The founder of Le Artisan Perfumer (considered the first nice house by many) went on to found this house in the late 80's and as far as I can tell has done a great job keeping the scents in good shape. I'm finally getting round to the huge pile of samples I have from them and they have all been excellent, though clearly from their time, in a good way.

Le Galion - Bourrasque

I've had this sample for quite a while. The first time I tried it, I mostly got a lot of rose and something vaguely amber like. I really didn't quite know what to make of it. Every so often the sample would call to me, there was something I found very compelling here, but didn't really have the olfactory language yet to understand it.
Again this season it's started to call me, only now I think I'm 'getting it'. It's based on a classic sour chypre including the oak moss dry down, but it's layered on a powdery balsamic amber accord. It's really lovely and along with rose, chypres are really grabbing me lately. There's something about that sweet sour combo that really appeals to me. Here it's a a masculine context.

DSC01411.jpg

Le Galion - Eau Noble
Spring is in the air, and it's time to break out Eau Noble! For me nothing says spring like this classic old school citrus aromatic chypre. This stuff exudes old world class, with a touch of happy go-lucky swagger. The oak moss dry down lasts forever, but you do have to throughly douse yourself. Still that's all part of that spring putting on the ritz ritual, even if it was just in preparation for a trip to the gym. :)

Le Galion Eau Nobile 2.jpg

Back