The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Words of wisd..... Yeah right.... We all know better than that!

Nice work on that hammer Shawn. On a side note guys, this is how he loses jobs. He gets bore with nothing to fix and starts sabotaging things to be busier until he gets caught. Try to relax dude ???

Nice work Shawn.
Nice work on that hammer Shawn. On a side note guys, this is how he loses jobs. He gets bore with nothing to fix and starts sabotaging things to be busier until he gets caught. Try to relax dude
1f602.png
1f61c.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I’m a bit late, but welcome to the journals! Sounds like things are back on the upswing.

Seriously Shawn...is there anything you CAN'T do? You are making the rust of us guys look...well...less manly! I know we all complain about work and all. But in your case...work looks like the best remedy! Happy things are on the upswing and you are now able to face life's challenges head on!

Shawn glad to read that things are getting back to normal for you.

Seriously Shawn...is there anything you CAN'T do? You are making the rust of us guys look...well...less manly! I know we all complain about work and all. But in your case...work looks like the best remedy! Happy things are on the upswing and you are now able to face life's challenges head on!

Well I can't type worth a darn, and I can't touch my toes without bending over.
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png

Nice work on that hammer Shawn. On a side note guys, this is how he loses jobs. He gets bore with nothing to fix and starts sabotaging things to be busier until he gets caught. Try to relax dude
1f602.png
1f61c.png
1f602.png

Stop giving away my secrets!!!
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

There is a reason I've been banned from energy drinks you know..... I'm hyper enough without any help.

Glad to see everyone is back! I really like the new site layout. This is the same platform as another forum I am on for forging and razor making and I really like it. Great move guys!!

So since it's been a while I guess I can give you all an update.
Things have been.... well, interesting, so my shaves have been pretty boring and lazy. Trying to finish up a tub of RazoRock sandalwood so I've pretty much just been using that.

As for the interesting part......
My step-daughter has a nice 2015 chevy cruze. She hit a deer with it and smashed up the front end pretty good. One of her friends thought that they would total it so she ran out and bought another car. Turns out they are going to fix it, so now she is going to have two cars to pay for.
I was leaving for work the other day and my alternator quit. I made it back home and started pricing. $240 for a new alternator. My unibody is rusting and it won't pass the next inspection in Nov, and I don't think it's worth putting that kind of money into it for a few months. So I borrowed my mom's car to get back and forth to work until my daughter's cruze is done and I'm going to take over payments for her.
It's the more expensive of the two, but it is the nicer of the two. It'll make it easier on her having a lower payment, and give me a good car that I won't have to worry about for a while.
Yesterday, I woke up with something in my eye. I think it scratched my eye and gave me an infection. I worked yesterday, but it's too bad today so I am home for the day. Hopefully it clears up soon.

Work has been going good though. We have been rebuilding/reworking some of the rip saws. Since I know you guys like pics of this stuff, I tried to get a few.
This one I am milling a flat on the top of the rip fence for an adjustment plate. I had already milled out the rail slot underneath to make room for a custom wear plate that we built and installed.

Here is one of the two heads that are on either side of the blade. (sorry it's a little blurry) I had taken all of the rollers and swing arms out, and driven out all of the old bearings. My trainer turned all the rollers to true them while I was cleaning everything up and made new shafts for the anti-kickback fingers. Here it is almost fully re-assembled. Still had to finish putting the est of the anti-kickback fingers in when I took this.

Yesterday I pulled the gearbox for the drive chain. Took it all apart and cleaned it, then put all new bearings and seals in it. Here it is half way re-assembled.

Sounds like you have been busy man! It also sounds like you are doing some good stuff for your employer. I think you mentioned at one point that they mentioned that you did more work than the last guy. Sounds like you might actually be saving your employer money. Which in the long run is what they will really appreciate!

There is also a little pep in your step. I can here it in your tone. Keep up the great attitude. It suits you well!

Sorry about the eye infection. Don't mess around with that. If it doesn't get better soon, get it taken care of. An infection around that are can cause to a lot of issues.

The car situation, while probably not ideal and a little more expensive than you probably would like, sounds like a really good long term solution!

Thanks Don.
I guess everyone is happy with me at work. I work with two other guys. John and Dennis. Dennis is the one that is retiring and training me to take his place. I was out working with John a week or so ago, and he told me that Dennis never worked with the other guy at all really, and made him use the old lathe out in the shop. I get to use the good machines in the machine room and he works right along side me helping me out if I have a question, so I must be doing something right. :ROFLMAO:

As for the car, it's not what I would have gotten if I was looking for myself, but it is a nice car. Remote start, heated seats, good fuel economy, and it's 8 years newer than what I was driving. It is still like new and still relatively low miles. It also saves her credit, and I won't need to go through the hassle of looking for something new(er) and dealing with salesmen. Like I said, mine wouldn't pass inspection again, so I was going to have to do something anyway. I think this just made it easier for all involved and benefits us both.

Yeah as someone who has taught apprentices, you are in if they let you use the good tools. I know when I'm teaching flintknapping classes I make the students buy their own tools. Mine are too nice to have some dude hacking away with them. I've actually had students break their new tool that they've only been using for 2 hours! I think this job interests you, and like Don said you have some pep back so I'm really happy for you.

Looks like you will be Cruz'in in style soon. Heated seats eh......mine only get heated if I have gas :LOL:

Rough update Shawn! Glad your step-daughter is OK. I know how frustrating waiting in insurance can be. I guess that kinda worked out in your favor though!

Glad work is going well! You mentioned heads in you post, but I didn’t see any razors, so I skipped that part. ;)

Glad everything with the cars is working out. And what you are doing at work, sounds great. It must be rewarding to fix stuff and keep it going. I'd have no clue what to do with any of that stuff. Wish I had more "workshop" knowledge.

You mentioned heads in you post, but I didn’t see any razors, so I skipped that part. ;)

That's a whole different level of design that I'm not familiar with at all. That and I don't want to push doing "government" jobs on company time. I can squeeze in a little thing here and there if there is nothing to fix, but I can't tie up the machine that long trying to figure out how to copy one.
Maybe one day when I get famous for my forged straight razors (that I still haven't even finished.....) I'll be able to afford my own mill and do the R&D for one. I wouldn't suggest holding your breath waiting for it though. ☠:LOL:

Glad everything with the cars is working out. And what you are doing at work, sounds great. It must be rewarding to fix stuff and keep it going. I'd have no clue what to do with any of that stuff. Wish I had more "workshop" knowledge.
Thanks KJ! Sometimes it's nice because if I need something or break something, I just make it or fix it. Other times it's a pain because I get called to do it for everyone else. 🤪

That's some pretty gnarly looking equipment Shawn. Pretty cool! I guess the car issue was kind of a blessing in disguise as well...so congrats on the new-to-you ride!

Yep, the pics of machines and stuff I have no clue what they are is cool. Just like Chad’s ref stories. Get a little behind the scenes.

Hope the eye responds quickly. I agree, sight stuff ain’t something to mess around with.

Back