The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your Latest Fragrance Purchase

Trade success!

A nice spicy, floral, with undertones of suede and wood.

View attachment 127530
Nice!

Another guy joins the Amouage club. Our local department store just started stocking them, and few few other big name niche brands, so I can at least smell them sometime. Just have to get in line behind all the teenage boys, and Russian babushkas to get my turn.

What are the samples? What did you trade for?

Nice!

Another guy joins the Amouage club. Our local department store just started stocking them, and few few other big name niche brands, so I can at least smell them sometime. Just have to get in line behind all the teenage boys, and Russian babushkas to get my turn.

What are the samples? What did you trade for?
Yep, this makes 2 now for me! I wish we had a store locally that carried them, I’d love to get my nose on more.

I ended up trading out Heeley Cardinal. The samples are just empty atomizers the dude sent along 🤷‍♂️

LOVE this frag!!!! Old school! Masculine! A lavender and oakmoss bomb! This is another frag that harkens back to the 80's. Big, bold and unapologetic. A rager on first spray, but hangs closer to the skin on drydown.

Thanks Mark. Sounds up my alley.

I was an Old Space man since the 70s. Then Old Spice when overseas. I used the Sutton lot, but when it moved again, I had to stop.
Now I use Proraso Sandalwood. Not only does it smell like the barber shops of old, It smells just like my uncle Fred.
Now I know what he used.
The Mrs likes it too.

I am not a try something new type of person. So I will use this until you can not get it any more.

I was an Old Space man since the 70s. Then Old Spice when overseas. I used the Sutton lot, but when it moved again, I had to stop.
Now I use Proraso Sandalwood. Not only does it smell like the barber shops of old, It smells just like my uncle Fred.
Now I know what he used.
The Mrs likes it too.

I am not a try something new type of person. So I will use this until you can not get it any more.
Can't go wrong with Proraso Red!

Frederic Malle - French Lover
This is one of the very first niche scents I ever tried, and it was an instant love, for about 2 hours. Then it just started to feel like too much of a good thing, as it's almost unrelentingly linear. Still I'd come back to it from time to time, hoping that maybe the deep dry down would be less oppressive.
It came up on a favorite grey market site, and I thought and thought about it. Even at grey market prices, it's not cheap, and it's always been such a love hate affair. However reading reviews, saying that it's been 'reformulated' and with my experience with Monsieur from the same house, where it had very clearly been toned WAY down, to my disappointment, lead me to think maybe French Lover would actually be better toned down. I wound up punting for it.
And man am I glad I did! This is the best version of the juice I've tried. The opening has just a touch more air in it, letting those wonderful spiky greens breathe, and the earthiness underneath shine. Even better, it never gets old, like the original, the volume turns down just enough to make it pure pleasure. I've found a new favorite, not all 'reformulations' are bad.

Frederic Malle French Lover.jpg

Frederic Malle - French Lover
This is one of the very first niche scents I ever tried, and it was an instant love, for about 2 hours. Then it just started to feel like too much of a good thing, as it's almost unrelentingly linear. Still I'd come back to it from time to time, hoping that maybe the deep dry down would be less oppressive.
It came up on a favorite grey market site, and I thought and thought about it. Even at grey market prices, it's not cheap, and it's always been such a love hate affair. However reading reviews, saying that it's been 'reformulated' and with my experience with Monsieur from the same house, where it had very clearly been toned WAY down, to my disappointment, lead me to think maybe French Lover would actually be better toned down. I wound up punting for it.
And man am I glad I did! This is the best version of the juice I've tried. The opening has just a touch more air in it, letting those wonderful spiky greens breathe, and the earthiness underneath shine. Even better, it never gets old, like the original, the volume turns down just enough to make it pure pleasure. I've found a new favorite, not all 'reformulations' are bad.

View attachment 129958
200.gif

I think Cole might be on track to beating Mark and Gus on frag collection at this point!

1b5e1aa5905581c637f2864b11c5b9c7.gif

I think Cole might be on track to beating Mark and Gus on frag collection at this point!
I'm beating everyone when it comes to Pierre Guillaume!

D.S. & Durga - Amber Teutonic
We took a long weekend trip to Stockholm to see comedian Jeff Arcuri. Of course some sniffing was also done, and way too much eating too!
We found a really cool shop just a few blocks from our hotel, and the lady working there was super helpful. I wound up landing on this, which I certainly didn't expect.
A very resinous piney amber, lovely stuff. I asked the lady to recommend a dark green to me, and this fit the bill. There was another from the house St Vetyver that also fit the brief, with a lighter touch. It's on the list.

DSC01692-2.jpg

100% need your thoughts on this, I've been so close to getting it so many times.
Phenomenal frag! The epitome of "fougère barbershop". It's not a rager. After the initial blast of lavender, it hangs pretty close to the skin. But I don't believe this frag was made with the intent of being a "Hey! Notice me!" attention-getter.. It's more reserved. More refined. It sits in quiet confidence instead of being braggadocios. Classic and timeless. I love it!

Phenomenal frag! The epitome of "fougère barbershop". It's not a rager. After the initial blast of lavender, it hangs pretty close to the skin. But I don't believe this frag was made with the intent of being a "Hey! Notice me!" attention-getter.. It's more reserved. More refined. It sits in quiet confidence instead of being braggadocios. Classic and timeless. I love it!
What season does it feel like it would work best in to you?

Back