The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL 2021 -lets get this party started

Everything but the “velvet wood”? and dragons pub is on the website now. Dragons pub is available (about a dozen 80gr tubs) $10 each but you’ll have to be a TSC member or known the special handshake to get it until I decide whether I’m putting it on the website. It’s a great performing hard soap, I should probably be selling for a lot more but it’s ugly as sin so ...

and yes @Spider and @OpusX i’ll make sure you get one.

Everything but the “velvet wood”? and dragons pub is on the website now. Dragons pub is available (about a dozen 80gr tubs) $10 each but you’ll have to be a TSC member or known the special handshake to get it until I decide whether I’m putting it on the website. It’s a great performing hard soap, I should probably be selling for a lot more but it’s ugly as sin so ...

and yes @Spider and @OpusX i’ll make sure you get one.
Chris...that is a steal! Dragon's Pub is a great scent and a better performer. It is some really good stuff!

Don, Orion isn't a scent.... it's a new base. California Sunrise was the first scent he released it in. Now it's available in 3 scents:
Well I knew it was a base...but last I checked there was only one, and that one didn't have a particular name for the scent that I was aware of. Didn't realize Chris had three. But yeah...that answered my question.

Well I knew it was a base...but last I checked there was only one, and that one didn't have a particular name for the scent that I was aware of. Didn't realize Chris had three. But yeah...that answered my question.
...but more importantly, you now have two more soaps to buy.

Yes indeed gents, I now have 3 scents in Orion (although the California Sunrise is in very short supply and won’t return again for a long while). I wasn’t planning on making the California Sunrise again but everyone from my wife’s aunt to random people walking into @BarberDave ’s shop have made a point to say how much they love the scent. Now I am considering making the scent available in Tonic and maybe the simplicity base.

It's a good scent Chris. Not a typical citrus scent at all. To be honest...I am disappointed that I passed on it before. I am wondering if it will become my signature warm weather scent!

Other thing Chris... @CBLindsay is your Barba scent your interpretation of a Barber Shop scent? And how powdery is it?
First, I want to say it’s not my “interpretation” of a barbershop or barbershop scent. Is it a barbershop scent? I don’t know, I think it would fall in that category because of the scent notes NOT because it smells like any barbershop you’ve walked into exactly. It’s not powdery, or at least I hope/think it shouldn’t come off that way. In MY head it is quite a lot like the old barbasol without the chrome metalic note (if I knew where to find that note I would put that in). If sent it to 2 different people and told one that it was a copy of English Fern and the other it was a copy of Rive Gauche, each of them would complement me for a job well done and say I was very close. I think English Fern is easier to copy so that guy might say I was right on but the Rive Gauche guy would say it’s missing something. That is why I describe it as being the love child of English Fern and the original Rive Gauche, it isn’t a copy of either but it has their vibe. So, maybe it’s like a barbershop fougere.

I don’t want to pigeon hole this as a barbershop scent, that’s why I made the point that it not an interpretation of barbershop. Barba is actually intended to tie a few ideas/concepts together (I thought I was being quite clever and came to a name that sounded good too). ‘Barba’ is an Italian word that means ‘beard ‘ but was also used in some regions /dialects in Italy (my grandfather was born in Torino Italy and served in the Italian army) to mean ‘uncle’ or sometimes used to describe a man who was revered. The real word for “uncle” in Italian is “zio” so obviously my choice of name isn’t a direct reference to Italian uncles but if you grew up in Torino maybe you’ve heard or called an uncle or other close friend called “Barba” are something similar. (Like “Babba”). My soap is a SHAVING soap and it smells great, like your favorite uncle...really comfortable, the kind of smell you can enjoy every day.

First, I want to say it’s not my “interpretation” of a barbershop or barbershop scent. Is it a barbershop scent? I don’t know, I think it would fall in that category because of the scent notes NOT because it smells like any barbershop you’ve walked into exactly. It’s not powdery, or at least I hope/think it shouldn’t come off that way. In MY head it is quite a lot like the old barbasol without the chrome metalic note (if I knew where to find that note I would put that in). If sent it to 2 different people and told one that it was a copy of English Fern and the other it was a copy of Rive Gauche, each of them would complement me for a job well done and say I was very close. I think English Fern is easier to copy so that guy might say I was right on but the Rive Gauche guy would say it’s missing something. That is why I describe it as being the love child of English Fern and the original Rive Gauche, it isn’t a copy of either but it has their vibe. So, maybe it’s like a barbershop fougere.

I don’t want to pigeon hole this as a barbershop scent, that’s why I made the point that it not an interpretation of barbershop. Barba is actually intended to tie a few ideas/concepts together (I thought I was being quite clever and came to a name that sounded good too). ‘Barba’ is an Italian word that means ‘beard ‘ but was also used in some regions /dialects in Italy (my grandfather was born in Torino Italy and served in the Italian army) to mean ‘uncle’ or sometimes used to describe a man who was revered. The real word for “uncle” in Italian is “zio” so obviously my choice of name isn’t a direct reference to Italian uncles but if you grew up in Torino maybe you’ve heard or called an uncle or other close friend called “Barba” are something similar. (Like “Babba”). My soap is a SHAVING soap and it smells great, like your favorite uncle...really comfortable, the kind of smell you can enjoy every day.
Well after that explanation...I’m sold! 😂😂😂. I’ve been trying to decide on the next CBL scent I need to have and couldn’t make up my mind. You just decided for me Chris!

Well after that explanation...I’m sold! . I’ve been trying to decide on the next CBL scent I need to have and couldn’t make up my mind. You just decided for me Chris!
That's what we need for all of your scents... The iconic Paul Harvey'esque "the rest of the story".

(Or for the younger crowd, maybe Mike Rowe's 'the way I heard it').

Back