The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Tonsorial -a new (OLD) formula is born

Mr @CBLSoap.com I have a question about your new releases. I believe in general the firs soaps you released had a scent strength of 4-6/10. Not in your face as I would desire, but I get not everyone like them that strong and the concentration of oils to get to the 11/10 has a much higher chance of causing irritation than at lower levels. But your more recent soaps with the new base seem to be around a 2-4/10. I'm curious if the drop in scent strength is related to chemistry with the new base? Maker's choice? or just a coincidence?

Mr @CBLSoap.com I have a question about your new releases. I believe in general the firs soaps you released had a scent strength of 4-6/10. Not in your face as I would desire, but I get not everyone like them that strong and the concentration of oils to get to the 11/10 has a much higher chance of causing irritation than at lower levels. But your more recent soaps with the new base seem to be around a 2-4/10. I'm curious if the drop in scent strength is related to chemistry with the new base? Maker's choice? or just a coincidence?
With the exception of lime and balsamic Oud all scents have been scented at the same concentration as the premium soaps. The main difference in perceived strength is likely due to both formulation (less super fat and different oils) and potentially different source of fragrance oil. Some fragrances come from different sources regardless of soap base so the source is typically a constant anyway.
Oddly enough the beta pucks had the same concentration or less as the current production which leads me to believe there is a third factor...the underlying scent profile. The best way to test this is to compare a known profile. Fortunately you are in possession of a known profile, the Oud minerale/agarwood minerale. Give it a go and tell me if it is way less powerful than the premium version (which was a touch light anyway) and we will know more.

if future scents need to be kicked up a notch then it will be done.

Definitely interested in trying this soap. I’ll have to order some when I can. Barber Chair sounds like my kind of scent for sure. I wonder, will there be a citronella scent at some point, reminiscent of Williams?

Definitely interested in trying this soap. I’ll have to order some when I can. Barber Chair sounds like my kind of scent for sure. I wonder, will there be a citronella scent at some point, reminiscent of Williams?
I hadn’t really considered a citronella scent but it’s easy enough to do. If I did that I might go all the way and make pucks with it rather than pour into tubs. Williams also made menthol at one point and use a camphor like compound (presumably as a preservative or skin treatment of some kind) In an old formula, I was planning on making a camphor-eucalyptus-menthol blend perfect for clearing those stuffy noses. I make a tub for myself and figure others might like it too.

@mrdoug got the sample you wanted mailed and since I have a few Roasted Oatmeal Stout I included a beta puck of it so your set. It's just how I roll. Sorry @CBLindsay but I think he'll be back to buy more
Received the package today @Dave in KY . Thank you again.

The oatmeal around smells wonderful. Very much a non-sweet (sugar free?) oatmeal cookie smell. It's definitely addicting.

The sample is good, but very much unexpected. I was definitely expecting woody campfire-esque scent. It's much more perfume-ish to my nose. Can't catch a whif of smoke or fire anywhere. It's good, real good... Just not what I imagined at all.

Thanks again!

Back