The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coming soon (summer 2022)

Its too hot for a soap order now !! It’ll never survive the post and mailbox!
It has been in the 100's here with humidity as high as 75-85%. At these tempts is is pretty much a given that most of the soft soaps will melt to some extent and the firm soaps might soften. The heat and melting isn't a factor when it comes to quality of the product or performance, after all, the soap is a hot process soap and is made at temps between 150 and 230 degrees. To me, the biggest stress is how the heat/melting impacts the final scent. Most fragrance oils have a flash point around 200, they can be added to hot soap. The general rule of thumb is to add fragrance when the soap is at or under 140 so the fragrance is not damaged but a lot of fragrances can tolerate much higher temps.

Sadly, the melting aspect makes shipping the soap in the bamboo bowls a risky prospect. I seal the lids with a shrink band and put the bowls in wood boxes to minimize the risk of leakage, but the risk is still high.

Its too hot for a soap order now !! It’ll never survive the post and mailbox!
I received my tub of Inconceivable on a day that was 113 degrees here in Vegas. I immediately put the package into my beer fridge (temp @38 degrees) and let it set for about 4 hours. It survived just fine.

To all, i just realized i may have come off in a way that no one should order anything because of the heat. Absolutely not what i intended. Clearly i forgot to add some joking emoji about the oppressive weather here in the mid atlantic.

My HOA mailbox is basically a radiant energy steel smoker oven and i try to grab everything as soon as as delivered during the day.

I am psyched to order some new stuff soon. Been too long!

To all, i just realized i may have come off in a way that no one should order anything because of the heat. Absolutely not what i intended. Clearly i forgot to add some joking emoji about the oppressive weather here in the mid atlantic.

My HOA mailbox is basically a radiant energy steel smoker oven and i try to grab everything as soon as as delivered during the day.

I am psyched to order some new stuff soon. Been too long!
I for one took your post as being quite appropriate. I assumed there was some level of joking to it but I took it as an opportunity to inform as well.

I added my comment so that anyone else thinking about ordering wouldn't be worried that the heat might ruin their soap. Between me in Vegas and @BarberDave in Tucson, we've stress tested these soaps. Any one can order them and not fear that they'll melt away. Soften up a small bit....maybe. But they have nothing to fear. Just pop them in a fridge for a few hours and everything is hunky-dory.

I added my comment so that anyone else thinking about ordering wouldn't be worried that the heat might ruin their soap. Between me in Vegas and @BarberDave in Tucson, we've stress tested these soaps. Any one can order them and not fear that they'll melt away. Soften up a small bit....maybe. But they have nothing to fear. Just pop them in a fridge for a few hours and everything is hunky-dory.
I can echo this as soaps to me are tested by the uncompromising heat and humidity here in the south. As said, pop it in the fridge for a bit and you'll be G2G.

Back