The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Quijote's search for BBS

Quick fly by bird droppings of some recent shaving thoughts:

The Blackland Sabre was with every penny. Gives as close of a shave as I have. Is almost automatic. And an still in the first blade almost 2 full months in.

B&M's Omnibus base is among the best I have used. It is up there for me with CBL and Arianna and Evans. That being said, I cannot remember the last time I used a soap and said that I wouldn't use it as a shave soap.

GEO Trumper's Skin Food is something I may never go without again. Makes an afternoon shave feel just like one fresh out of the shower.

That is all for now. Have a great week.

First and foremost, Merry Christmas everyone. I hope Santa (and Rudolph) brought you all everything you wanted. It is a little bittersweet here. We had done our gift exchange the weekend after Thanksgiving due to the family being gone for the holiday. Still enjoying the holiday though. I will be visiting my parents later today since they are still in town.

Random thoughts about shaving: I have been using my Artist Club shavette for as much as I can since the family has been out of town because I have haven't had my straights in so long, that I am a little out of practice. I had stopped using them fo a while after I got injured in a basketball game where I am pretty sure I had a fracture in my left hand. My right hand is just as efficient with it as ever, but my left hand still shakes a little while trying to line it up. I am not sure which blade was in the shavette when I got it, but it lasted probably 10-15 shaves. I do not really keep close track of how many uses I get out of blades, just like to have a general idea of longevity. I changed out the blade after the last shave though. I am going to try a Proguard for today's shave. The last one didn't really tug or anything, but it was hesitant on my upper lip. I have learned that using the shavette, I get a good BBS shave after 2 passes where it takes any DE or SE 3 passes. So, if I can get my left hand back up to par, that might become my go to razor in most instances.

Other stuff: I was planning on doing so much getting out and either riding my bike or running while the family was gone, but it seems that just about every day since they have been gone has either been rainy or extremely cold. Should get up to around 34 tomorrow, I may go for a bike ride then. The family is doing well in MT, they have been inside a little more than they wanted to be. The cold dry air seems to be setting off my son's coughing. Tammy's sister had planned on taking them all sorts of places, but work has gotten in the way. However, they are going up to Chico Hot Springs today. I have to say, I am a little jealous of that.

I hope you all have a great day.

Should get up to around 34 tomorrow, I may go for a bike ride then.
34 degrees doesn't work for me, be it Celsius or Fahrenheit! Coldest I remember riding lately has been in the mid-50s, and it was sunny, so not too bad overall. I'm a fair weather cyclist.

Merry Christmas, Don.

34 degrees doesn't work for me, be it Celsius or Fahrenheit! Coldest I remember riding lately has been in the mid-50s, and it was sunny, so not too bad overall. I'm a fair weather cyclist.

Merry Christmas, Don.
I tend to only ride in the warm too, but I have been antsy lately due to being in the house so much lately. Alas, the weather didn't cooperate though. Never made it out of the 20s and snowed.

I tend to only ride in the warm too, but I have been antsy lately due to being in the house so much lately. Alas, the weather didn't cooperate though. Never made it out of the 20s and snowed.
I'm amazed at those in my area (western PA) who ride year-round. Winter riding has no appeal to me whatsoever. More power to those that do, however, for whatever reason they choose to do so.

Just wanted to do a quick stop to give you gents an update. Still around, family is doing well. Our Great Dane had been lethargic, so we took her to the vet. They found out she was really low on red blood cells. After weeks of tests, they determined that she probably has an autoimmune disease. So, they are treating her with steroids. They have increased her already huge appetite by 50% and made her incredibly more stubborn. She is doing better, but has weekly vet visits at least until she is 100%.

We had been living just off of one my paycheck for a long time, but with everything increasing lately, that has become something we are no longer able to do. So because of that, I started a side hustle in an industry that I know nothing about, but am learning very quickly. In an effort not to break the ToS, let's just say I am selling products under a name not related to my user name on a 4 letter app. The lady of the house has given me a couple of months to see if I can get it off the ground. If not, she may have to get a job.

Well, it has been a while since I posted an update. A lot has been going on.

Shaving wise, I am still boring. I have figured out what works best for me. It ends up being just a 2 pass shave. I use the Artist Club straight for a pass the is halfway between WTG and XTG. I then switch to my Sabre and go ATG. That gives me a BBS with zero irritation. My face also prefers the alcohol aftershaves rather than the more lotion type. If it is too moisturizing, I break out.

My daughter has officially become a teenager. She still loves running. She is also still in American Heritage Girls. My wife is the leader of her group. My daughter is also in a choir that is being taught by the local college.

My son has joined Boy Scouts. They appointed me as the Assistant Scout Master. He is also playing soccer. He lived being goalie. He has no fear. They were also short on coaches, so my wife volunteered me to be a coach. Luckily, they got enough that I'm only the assistant coach.

At work, I'm still a claims adjuster. They have been grooming me for a field adjuster position though. Which we have one retiring at the end of the year. They haven't officially offered me the position, but I like my chances. I'm also doing a 15k race on my birthday in September. I'm in no way ready for it, but I'll survive it. I also signed up to do 100 miles on my bike in September as part of the Great Cycle Challenge to help raise money for childhood cancer.

That is all the big stuff I can think of at this time. Lots of other small stuff, but I have talked enough for now.

How is everyone doing? Life has been hectic for me. Sports are done for now, but my son will be starting basketball in a month or so. I'm having to go through more training as an ASM in boy scouts.

My wife and I have been praying about our future and we both feel that a change is coming. We still feel like being a field adjuster is the correct place for me, but I'm not completely sure it is with my current company. I did the math and I'm actually making less with inflation than I was when I started as an adjuster 8 years ago. I interviewed for the field adjuster position in my company yesterday, but the person doing the actual hiring is not the same person who was encouraging me to apply. My current supervisor is actually being left out of the process entirely.

In other news, my wife and daughter were supposed to run a half marathon here in about 2 hours, but my wife injured her knee three weeks ago. Since it was s new course and we didn't know anyone running it, they got my wife's registration changed to me to run with my daughter. I hadn't been training since my 15k in September before the switch. So, I am just looking to finish at this point. Luckily, my daughter doesn't run that fast, so I will just slow my last pace down a little and should be okay.

I always feel like I'm rambling in these. It always ends up being just a stream of thought.

Oh, and the weather changed from what it was supposed to be yesterday. Now a 100% chance of rain and temps ranging from 45-50. Fun.

We've been really busy lately. It's that time of year, the claims are steadily increasing at work. Plus, the scout master of my son's troop broke his foot, so I'm essentially taking his place for now. We also have races scheduled for each month this year.

On the shaving front, I'm still boring. Using a handful of soaps with the same razors over and over again. I have been considering getting a really lightweight razor though. I've started backpacking and every ounce counts. I have a GEM Featherweight, but I'm still going to look around to see if there are any other good options. I won't be able to take a full setup because it is too heavy and takes up too much room. I already figured that I could take an unscented soap and put it a lip balm tube that I can just hand lather. That would be more than enough shaves for a week. It has to be unscented too because anything with a scent has to go in the bear bag and hung up at night.

Well, that's my quick update. I hope everyone had been doing well.

Back