The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

@dkeester that's funny. I have a similar situation. Got into pipes, and bought several tins of tobacco as well as some bulk stuff. Stashed away the tins and haven't even gotten close to finishing the bulk stuff I put into jars. That stuff will be well aged for good or bad.

I have been thinking about trying an English soon. Just tried a couple aromatics so far but they have been nice. Any particular recommendations for a first?
If you are looking for a bulk English take a look at Arango's Balkan Supreme, Peter Stokkebye 17 English Luxury, Newminster No. 17 English Luxury, or Sutliff Medium English.

If you are looking for tinned English blends, look for Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Early Morning Pipe, or Peterson (formerly Dunhill) Nightcap.

One of those will give you a really good introduction to English tobaccos. To start you probably want to look for one that has some Black Cavendish in the blend and that doesn't have Turkish or Oriental tobaccos in it. That will give you an easier transition from aromatics. If you decide that you like them definitely start looking for blends that do include Turkish or Oriental tobaccos because they are very tasty.

EDIT: BTW, Squadron Leader is one of my favorite English blends hands down.

OK, talk to me about cleaning. How often, how important for a one pipe guy (don’t see picking another up any time soon) with several samples to go through, sparingly.

I’ve got a shank brush and some pipe cleaners. Using a gold tee as a tamper :ROFLMAO:

Clean after every use. Run the pipe clean through it to get out most of the moisture, then fold it into a "U" shape and swirl it around in the bowl so you don't get build-up. Easy peazy

Clean after every use. Run the pipe clean through it to get out most of the moisture, then fold it into a "U" shape and swirl it around in the bowl so you don't get build-up. Easy peazy
Do you use alcohol too for cleaning? Or just a dry pipe cleaner?

Also, since @GearNoir is smoking a Meerschaum, he will need to clean out the bowl every smoke.

In a briar pipe it is important to let a small layer of carbon build up on the inside of the bowl. This is called the "cake" and it helps the briar smoke cooler and last longer. In a Meerschaum building up a cake is a bad idea. The differences in thermal expansion between the stone of the Meerschaum and the carbon of the cake can cause the Meerschaum to crack, which is bad. So, wipe out the bowl right after you smoke it. You can use a paper towel for this or a pipe cleaner. If the Meerschaum on the inside of the bowl chars, that is fine as long as it is just blackened stone. Just make sure that there is no carbon buildup on top of the stone.

Meerschaum pipes take lots of TLC. They are beautiful and will turn from white to amber as the stone absorbs tar and nicotine from the pipe tobacco, but they can be a bit delicate. Also, some guys that I have met will only smoke their Meerschaums while wearing cotton gloves. That keeps skin oils off of the outside of the pipe, since apparently there is a chance of discoloration. I think that is a bit over-the-top, but it is something to be aware of.

Do you use alcohol too for cleaning? Or just a dry pipe cleaner?
Alcohol should be fine to use whenever you feel it necessary, but make sure that the pipe is cool before you do it and let it completely dry out before smoking it again.

I"m a pipe novice myself, but since @GearNoir is a one pipe man, aren't there rules about the types of tobacco you smoke? Like once you smoke an aromatic, you should only smoke aromatics in it?

Also Chris.... consider buying some inexpensive Missouri Meerchaum (corn cob) pipes. These are excellent for learning on, and favorites of beginners and experts alike. They may seem cheap, but they are good quality and can last a good long while. I was PIF'd a briar pipe long ago, but always had trouble it it. I bought a few cobs and now it's a pleasure to smoke them.

I just wish I had more time (and better weather) to do it.

aren't there rules about the types of tobacco you smoke? Like once you smoke an aromatic, you should only smoke aromatics in it?
I have seen that mentioned quite a bit...but I’m guessing, like shaving these days, that’s a more modern/purist idea.

Also Chris.... consider buying some inexpensive Missouri Meerchaum (corn cob) pipes.
Thanks, it’s something to consider. The missus gave the evil eye when she spied the one I did get, so it’ll probably be a while before/if anything else is picked up.

that’s a more modern/purist idea.
The reasoning is that aromatics will impart a flavor into your pipe..... and you will end up tasting those flavors in your other tobaccos. You wont be able to enjoy your English as an English if you are still tasting the leftover aromatics along with it.

By the way, Carter Hall is an excellent beginner tobacco, and can be found at gas stations/grocery stores, or anywhere that pipe tobacco is commonly found. I love it. It's smooth and easy to smoke. No tongue bite.... and did I mention it's cheap?

I have real Native American tobacco that they say is so powerful it needs to be cut with something. An tribe member gave it to me green and I dried it. He also gave me seeds that are good forever and I intend to grow it someday. In Chippewa, Canada they found this pottery vessel and it was full of Indian tobacco seeds so they were able to start growing what the Indians had back in the day from those recovered seeds - pretty cool eh (sorry, I know some Canadians and had to get that in :LOL:) He also gave me some squash seeds that were grown from the same pot found with the tobacco seeds. They used to cut the pipe tobacco with red osier dogwood bark, dried cherries and anything else they decided to back in there. Incidentally, I love to burn the dogwood bark like an incense. It smells great.

Hah first pipe attempt was pretty much a total bust! :ROFLMAO:

Can’t count the number of lights I tried. One I thought I finally had it but it fizzled too. Draw seemed OK just couldn’t get a good ember to set. I think I totally burnt the tobacco too instead of heating it up nice n even.

Gonna have to go find some matches, it’ll probably make learning a bit easier next time.

Hah first pipe attempt was pretty much a total bust! :ROFLMAO:

Can’t count the number of lights I tried. One I thought I finally had it but it fizzled too. Draw seemed OK just couldn’t get a good ember to set. I think I totally burnt the tobacco too instead of heating it up nice n even.

Gonna have to go find some matches, it’ll probably make learning a bit easier next time.
It can totally be frustrating. I bought a pipe in college, had that same experience several times and didn't go back to it until a couple years ago. Just like learning to shave with a DE, packing the tobacco is a bit of an art. Just experiment with looser and tighter and then BAM! You'll get it.

Edit - did you do the false light technique where you light it once, the tobacco expands, then you tamp it down and do the real lighting?

Smoking Weed GIF - Smoking Weed Vape GIFs

Tried, but I don’t think I even did that right lol.
It sounds like you packed it too tightly. You want to make sure that you can easily draw air though the pipe when smoking. It shouldn't be any harder to draw air through than if you were smoking a cigar.

Back