The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

I blame Kyle for this. He got me thinking about English tobaccos...

I just put in an order from SmokingPipes.Com:
  • Arango Balkan Supreme 2oz
  • Cornell & Diehl Star of the East 2oz
  • F & K Sterling Balkan 2oz
  • Grand Croupier Boneyard 16oz
  • Kramer's Father Dempsey 2oz
  • Peter Stokkebye PS52 Proper English 2oz
  • Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match 2oz

Yes, that one item is a pound of pipe tobacco. I plan to pack that one tightly into mason jars and let it age for a couple of years.

I blame Kyle for this. He got me thinking about English tobaccos...

I just put in an order from SmokingPipes.Com:
  • Arango Balkan Supreme 2oz
  • Cornell & Diehl Star of the East 2oz
  • F & K Sterling Balkan 2oz
  • Grand Croupier Boneyard 16oz
  • Kramer's Father Dempsey 2oz
  • Peter Stokkebye PS52 Proper English 2oz
  • Sutliff Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match 2oz

Yes, that one item is a pound of pipe tobacco. I plan to pack that one tightly into mason jars and let it age for a couple of years.
Um, you're welcome! Lol I'm sure I can find a way to make it up to you lol

My SmokingPipes.Com order arrived today. I opened the box to the wonderful smell of English tobacco. (For those of you who aren't familiar, it is a slightly sweet mix of campfire, from the Latakia, and incense, from the Turkish/Orientals.) All of these tobaccos have an enticing pouch aroma. I am in for some really good smokes. I am not sure which smells the best.

At the cigar shop and just finished a bowl of the Sutliff BSOM Match. I am not sure how much of a match it is to the original Balkan Sobranie, since I haven't had the original. However, on its own I am calling it a winner. It is well balanced between the component tobaccos; and is a tasty, satisfying smoke. I could definitely smoke this all the time.

The next bowl is going to be the Balkan Supreme.

The Balkan Supreme was very tasty. A little more balanced than the BSOM Match. The Stokkebye Proper English is also well balanced, All three are wonderful versions of the English Mixture. Of the three I think I like the BSOM Match the best, but they all are delicious, satisfying smokes. If you guys like smokey, spicy pipe tobacco you should give these a try.

I think I have one more bowl in me and it is going to be from the tin of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader that I keep in my locker and have been working on since 2015.

It has been a wonderful afternoon at the cigar shop.

I bounce between Escudo, 1792, and good ol’ butternut burley.
When I first started, my Dad always told me load the pipe in three steps. First with the hand of a child (kinda loose) the the hand of a woman (a little tighter) then as a man. (Pack the top) that works good with loose tobaccos, but with cakes and coins it’s a bit different. The idea is to not have to work so hard to keep the coal floating in the ash, and avoiding tongue burn.

Escudo is a favorite or mine. It is perhaps the best Va/Per on the market. I haven't tried 1792 yet, or Butternut Burley for that matter, but I do want to.

You have good taste in pipe tobacco.

1792 is not for beginners! But I’m working through a pound of the Burley. What I have in my last jar is 16 years old and still tasty. I’ll get some out to you. Out of 1792, but will be getting a brick soon.

I went back to some of my bookmarks and find many of them closed. I enjoy Virginias with some perique. Legend is Perique comes from a small area of Louisiana, pressed in hollow tree trunks. It appears a lot of my 9ld favorites are out of stock most places. I’m gonna have to find some substitutes.

So y'all now have me very curious. Do the non aromatic tobacco's have more actual flavor to them than bvb the aromatic ones? I have been enjoying the smell of the aromatics I've tried but have experienced very little in the way of taste.

i have a couple of pipes set aside for Aromatics and English blends. I think they were invented so women won’t complain so much. 😝 Guilty of smoking some Captain Black in a pinch.

I used to smoke cigars and still have quite a few in a cooler I converted into a humidor (igloo dor). After I retired, I got into pipe smoking because I could relight a pipe without it tasting terrible if I left it aside for a while. There we’re no tobacconists shops nearby and i frequently turned to the Cap’n when I was out of non-aromatics. Probably still will now that I’ve unpacked a mess of my old pipes.

In a pinch? Now you are making me feel bad.... that was my main tobacco for years....
Nothing wrong with Captain Black. The CB Royal (dark blue pouch) was my first pipe tobacco. I will still smoke some every now-and-then, but I am more likely to grab some Lane Limited "1Q" since my local cigar shop carries that.

Back