The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

D.S. & Durga - St. Vetyver

This is the vetiver that got me back on team V. The sales lady in Stockholm recommended it to me as a dark green.

The opening is a bright, aromatic but very balsamic green. Light the sun's glare in the middle of a hot sultry day. That only lasts 54 minutes or so, but it's 5 minutes of bliss for me, that's totally my thing.
Then the vetiver comes in, and it's a really classic smokey vetiver, which slowly mellows into an almost root beer amber. I think some people are reading it as straw hat or rum, I get root beer but I can imagine the straw hat.
At this point, it's a skin scent, but the aromatic aspect is still there, so it lightly pushes so you get whiffs here and there. That's a good thing, as this doesn't feel heavy and cold weather only at all. It for the warm weather the name implies.

Overall this is a truly classic vetiver, but done in a modern NY street kind of way. I didn't expect to jive with this house but I really love the two I have. At their prices, that's probably enough. Still D.S&Durga is worth a look at if you want something just a bit more modern and edgy without being weird and unwearable. They have the aromatic, balsamic amber accords on lock.

The shop threw in 4 samples from the house, I hope I hate them all.

DSC01697.jpg

used this today, was dissapointed by its performance though. only lasted a few hours on the skin :(
View attachment 130590
Creed has gone through some changes, since they've been acquired by a new parent company. I'm not sure how CWM's performance was in the past, but am seeing more and more reports of diminishing performance with Creeds, as well as some other big niche brands.
However, sometimes it seems like bottles need some time to age. I've definitely had bottles where the first use I could hardly smell, but then a few months to a year later, everything is normal.

Pierre Guillaume - Hyperessence Matale
Deep black tea, that almost feels like walking through dense woods, with an oily citrus rind note on top. For me the best masculine tea scent I've worn, and though it's perfume for sure, it doesn't come off as super perfumey. It wears low key sophisticated.

Pierre Guillaume Hyperessence Matale.jpg

Frederic Malle - Rose Tonnerre
Really nice rose scent. When I picked up DS & Durga Amber Teutonic, they tossed this sample in with it. It's one I've wanted to try, being an avid rose lover.
For me this is ideal. Very unisex, due to the rose/geranium combo, that gives a rose thorns and all feeling. Still, it's an unabashed rose scent.
I've realized I find rose to be a very centering aroma for me, and today I needed it, having been in a bit of an unsettled spell.
As luck would have it, the grey market dealer I picked up my last Malle from also had this at a sharp discount, so I went ahead and picked it up.
Malle is a house, that when they hit for you, it's just really good, top notch, top quality. The house has a very sophisticated but almost minimal vibe. But it's minimal with a great depth.
Stoked to have stumbled upon this one, it's really ticking all my everyday rose boxes.

DSC01703.jpg

Back